• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you want to become an I.T. contractor? What are your hopes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
    Money, simple as.

I'm a young contractor and at times, I would prefer to live a permie life. But how else does one afford to live a normal life in London with a single income?
    I feel terrible for London permies - I can take home the same as a senior role with almost no responsibility while staying 30 mins from work, covering my meals and expenses and then I pay a 1/4 of what they do for my own house. It's ******* insane.

Obviously the risk is there etc etc, but even so.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      I feel terrible for London permies - I can take home the same as a senior role with almost no responsibility while staying 30 mins from work, covering my meals and expenses and then I pay a 1/4 of what they do for my own house. It's ******* insane.

Obviously the risk is there etc etc, but even so.
      As a permie it's an incredibly tough place to build a real life now, I genuinely feel sorry for graduates. If you earn decent money (£100k+) or have wealthy parents, you might have a chance.
      Otherwise, you will do what 95% of young professionals in London do:

1. spend 5-7 years in a house share, convincing yourself everyday that it is still acceptable to share a home with strangers as you approach your late 20s.
      2. When you approach 30 you finally realise it's insane to live in shared accommodation after university, despite how cool the gin bar is down the road. But as prices are so high, you decide you will have to buy with your partner. As you only have 10% deposit, all you can afford is a lovely 400 sq ft 1-bed flat in an 'up and coming' area, that is full of uneducated illiterate animals that literally stab each other when it gets dark. But you comfort yourself that it's ok, because it will be worth £££££ in a year right?
      3. The genius pensioners / racists that voted to leave the EU get their wishes. All the immigrants that can add value leave and the great financial capital of London crumbles. The London bubble deflates and you are left in negative equity living in a council estate for the rest of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
        As a permie it's an incredibly tough place to build a real life now, I genuinely feel sorry for graduates. If you earn decent money (£100k+) or have wealthy parents, you might have a chance.
        Otherwise, you will do what 95% of young professionals in London do:

1. spend 5-7 years in a house share, convincing yourself everyday that it is still acceptable to share a home with strangers as you approach your late 20s.
        2. When you approach 30 you finally realise it's insane to live in shared accommodation after university, despite how cool the gin bar is down the road. But as prices are so high, you decide you will have to buy with your partner. As you only have 10% deposit, all you can afford is a lovely 400 sq ft 1-bed flat in an 'up and coming' area, that is full of uneducated illiterate animals that literally stab each other when it gets dark. But you comfort yourself that it's ok, because it will be worth £££££ in a year right?
        3. The genius pensioners / racists that voted to leave the EU get their wishes. All the immigrants that can add value leave and the great financial capital of London crumbles. The London bubble deflates and you are left in negative equity living in a council estate for the rest of your life.
        Brexit doesnt affect them

Comment

Working...
        X