• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Expenses

Hi, all

I am still fairly new to contracting so I hope this question is not too naive?

I have just signed a contract which is ready to start in 3 weeks and during the conversations with the recruitment consultants I did ask if my expenses will be met for travel from my house to the site. It is a round trip of 300 miles. I will stay there during the week and the hotel will be paid for.

Should I still push for the travel to be paid or is it normal that you pay your own costs getting to the client? The contract is vague on expenses.
    thanks

Originally posted by Sgpg View Post
    Hi, all

I am still fairly new to contracting so I hope this question is not too naive?

I have just signed a contract which is ready to start in 3 weeks and during the conversations with the recruitment consultants I did ask if my expenses will be met for travel from my house to the site. It is a round trip of 300 miles. I will stay there during the week and the hotel will be paid for.

Should I still push for the travel to be paid or is it normal that you pay your own costs getting to the client? The contract is vague on expenses.
    thanks
    It would be unusual for your client to meet your travel expenses, and would be explicitly spelt out if that was the intention. Unless your skillset is very niche, why would they? They could just engage someone more local. Your home location is your problem, not theirs.

Are you working via a limited company? Are you outside IR35? Is your contract expected to last for less than two years?

If so, yourCo will reimburse you for travel expenses - effectively meaning you save the tax on them. This is usually what people are referring to when they talk about claiming travel expenses.

Go and read the First timer guides linked on the right which will cover all the basics. -->

Good luck.

Comment

I've never seen a contractor paid expenses for being at the the main office location. Only alternative locations.
      My current contract has my home as my main office location though, so get expenses for all travel. That's the first time (in 7 years).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I’ve had it once where they paid my travel to the main office, they had specific contractor requirements and so they paid for flights, accommodation and car hire. I’ve never had it for a UK based contract
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just out if interest. Why do you think your client will pay your expenses to get to site? You pay your builders expenses for turning up at your house to do a job do you?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Just out if interest. Why do you think your client will pay your expenses to get to site? You pay your builders expenses for turning up at your house to do a job do you?
            Because as I said the recruiter had stated that all travel would be met including getting to the site.

Comment

Because as I said the recruiter had stated that all travel would be met including getting to the site.
              If it's not in the contract it isn't true.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You didn't say that You said you asked.

Comment

The contract isn't vague. If it isn't explictly stated that it is included, it usually isn't. Travel expenses and subsistence is usually included in the rate you have agreed to. However, if the client expects you to travel to other sites other than the ones that has been agreed in the schedule as included, they should, in principle, cover those costs.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    But as you continually keep telling us, contractors and builders are two entirely different business models that simply can't be compared.

Comment

Working...
                    X