• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent asking to know rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    As a contractor you should know your rate, otherwise you'll get ripped off.
    As a contractor, you should know your worth. Sadly your worth and your rate may differ.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
      Had an interesting conversation with a pimp today. He asked me for my rate and I said, 'what does the role pay, ie whats the budget'? He said, he would s imply take my rate, add a markup % and offer it to the client and let them decide. He then asked (in good humour of course) that when I go to buy a car and ask for the price or ask for a home architecture quote, do I get asked 'Whats you budget'?. I politely declined to continue the conversation but that was because I am mid contract so not under pressure.

Set me thinking. We offer consulting services. If you were to ask Accenture to do some work, they would quote their rate card. I dont think they would ask 'Whats your f*****g budget?'.

Do you get asked to quote your rate? How do you get around it?
      Hold on while I go and get my glasses.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accessibility

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
        Hold on while I go and get my glasses.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_accessibility
        Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
        Had an interesting conversation with a pimp today. He asked me for my rate and I said, 'what does the role pay, ie whats the budget'? He said, he would s imply take my rate, add a markup % and offer it to the client and let them decide. He then asked (in good humour of course) that when I go to buy a car and ask for the price or ask for a home architecture quote, do I get asked 'Whats you budget'?. I politely declined to continue the conversation but that was because I am mid contract so not under pressure.

Set me thinking. We offer consulting services. If you were to ask Accenture to do some work, they would quote their rate card. I dont think they would ask 'Whats your f*****g budget?'.

Do you get asked to quote your rate? How do you get around it?
        Better?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Better?
          Nope.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Before I was a contractor I worked in the web dept for a company. Part of the reason I left was that more and more of the work was being dealt with by agencies and it became my job to manage them, which I didn't want to do...

Anyway. By far the best work I got out of them was when I said "we're doing this campaign and need this and have a budget of £xxx. Here's the brief, what can you do". Even better if you let them know that you've approached another agency for the work.

Not really applicable to us though, the dynamic is a bit different.

Comment

When I get asked this question I aim for the rate I want and then add +50 to +75 depending on how interesting the role sounds. If it sounds like something I actually want to do then +50, ballache / tedious / in a tricky location +75.

As others have said, know what you're worth. It's ideal if you have some other chums in your area of expertise who are also contracting so you can gauge what other people with similar experience are earning, as opposed to what's being advertised on job boards.

Comment

It's the age old problem with having the agency in the middle. If you were able to get in front of the client first, you'd have a better chance of having a frank talk about their project, their timelines, the reasons the project exists, etc. You could then have a value based discussion that describes what you can bring to the project. You would then also have the opportunity to offer a fixed price rather than daily rate deal, if that's appropriate to the work.

Unfortunately, most clients still see contractors as pseudo employees and are fixated on an hourly/daily rate idea. Never mind that if they went to one of the big 4 and asked for a project team to upgrade from super widget 5.x to super widget 6.x they'd be quoted a fixed price.

Comment

Working...
                X