• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting for 2hrs each way every day. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was so fed up of commuting on the London Underground that ..

I was so fed up of commuting on the London Underground that I almost considered pre-ordering one of these and getting the training for it...

James Bond-style jet packs to become a reality in the UK from next year 

Comment

I did about 8 years ago 2hr + drive each way for a year 5 days a week with a 3 month old child at home,

far from ideal but beggars can't be choosers and it was how I cut my teeth into IT contracting

I managed it but I was younger and had more energy then, although missus did say I aged dramatically during that year

do it if you have to, find another way if you don't

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
        I did about 8 years ago 2hr + drive each way for a year 5 days a week with a 3 month old child at home,

far from ideal but beggars can't be choosers and it was how I cut my teeth into IT contracting

I managed it but I was younger and had more energy then, although missus did say I aged dramatically during that year

I age:
        • 0.5 days per each day I don't work
        • 1.0 day per each day I work at home
        • 1.5 days per each day I work on client site, with an additional 0.01 days for each minute by which the commute exceeds 90 minutes each way.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          I age:
          • 0.5 days per each day I don't work
          • 1.0 day per each day I work at home
          • 1.5 days per each day I work on client site, with an additional 0.01 days for each minute by which the commute exceeds 90 minutes each way.
          must be a ball ache to try to plan a surprise birthday party for you

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            must be a ball ache to try to plan a surprise birthday party for you
            It is. I don't have surprise birthdays.

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post

That'll be the baby, not the commute. HTHBIDI.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                I was so fed up of commuting on the London Underground that I almost considered pre-ordering one of these and getting the training for it...

James Bond-style jet packs to become a reality in the UK from next year*
                Lots of people take up cycling rather than going on the tube.

So I've met people who cycle all the way East to West and West to East.

There are also those who commute to and from mainline train stations. The latter frequently use station bikes which are an old bike that won't be stolen if locked up at a station.

The bonus is they don't need to do any other cardio exercise.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  The UK badly needs a Northern powerhouse.
                  I AM the Northern Powerhouse!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    I AM the Northern Powerhouse!
                    We're so screwed.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Lots of people take up cycling rather than going on the tube.

So I've met people who cycle all the way East to West and West to East.

There are also those who commute to and from mainline train stations. The latter frequently use station bikes which are an old bike that won't be stolen if locked up at a station.

The bonus is they don't need to do any other cardio exercise.
                      and bring chaos to the roads with their anarchic behaviour.
                      and cardio isn't the magic wand it's mad out to be <although i do lots, incidentally, for fun>

Comment

Working...
                      X