• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cashing in on COBOL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Practically everything you can do on another system, server wise, you can do on a mainframe.
    Quick, someone tell Google.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
      I assume these are good money? Is the rate going up? Also, I assume these are all in London?
      Mainly in the North East has been my experience. However, the rates were rubbish. I worked as a COBOL programmer on those systems back in 1986 and probably 90% of those I worked with have now retired. Just waiting for them to come back with a decent rate.
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
        Quick, someone tell Google.
        Operationally there is no difference between a server (even a virtualised one on a large blade host) and a proper SMMP-capable mainframe. In many ways, modern client/server solutions are simply re-using the old mainframe/dumb terminal solution with better graphics.

The advantage of the modern approach is you can add CPU power a hell of a lot more cheaply.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
          Well, none of this is convincing me to make the leap! I just hope all the COBOL based companies do their migrations before all the old school COBOL devs retire.

Looks like I'm going to have to stick with all the cutting edge stuff.
          I believe that CGI have simply off shored all their COBOL development.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Operationally there is no difference between a server (even a virtualised one on a large blade host) and a proper SMMP-capable mainframe. In many ways, modern client/server solutions are simply re-using the old mainframe/dumb terminal solution with better graphics.

The advantage of the modern approach is you can add CPU power a hell of a lot more cheaply.
            Although I do recall GIF and JPG on a dumb terminal back in the early nineties and now I can do graphics on a mainframe with Linux (or even Windows) running there (admittedly the dumb terminal is not a requirement anymore.)

The mainframe I was recently using had as a base, 141 processors and 10TB of memory but you have to remember that mainframes have been using virtualisation for a long, long time which means I had a heck of a lot of virtual processors.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Operationally there is no difference between a server (even a virtualised one on a large blade host) and a proper SMMP-capable mainframe.
              Operationally there's a whole world of difference between good quality cloud native distributed computing, and putting all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                Operationally there's a whole world of difference between good quality cloud native distributed computing, and putting all your eggs in one basket.
                Operationally I would disagree. I ran a clustered mainframe that delivered a service with no downtime for four years, using early 90s technology. Cloud simply makes it much easier to achieve.

Then again, "Cloud" is a myth. It's simply someone else's computer network. You might as well use your own and after 3-4 years you're ahead on the ROI curve.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Operationally I would disagree. I ran a clustered mainframe that delivered a service with no downtime for four years, using early 90s technology. Cloud simply makes it much easier to achieve.
                  So you put all your eggs in a couple of baskets. Hope they were on different sites.

Then again, "Cloud" is a myth. It's simply someone else's computer network. You might as well use your own and after 3-4 years you're ahead on the ROI curve.
                  I know this, try telling the stupid accountants. Where did I say public cloud?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
                    PRO IV, now there’s one I’m not sorry to see the back of...
                    There's a couple of companies you should avoid working for then, still relying upon it.

Comment

Maybe by the time I am 70 I will be the only Mainframe Dinosaur left and will be earning 2 grand a day fixing COBOL progs and dodgy JCL ! only 16 years , then one day Rodney we will be millionaires

Comment

Working...
                      X