• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is this breach of contract

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Hi OP, you can charge the client only for the days you turn up. If you can't turn up for work, don't put it on your time sheet and don't invoice the client for that day. It doesn't matter what the cause is - sickness, hangover, snow, whatever. In fact, to say on a time sheet you were there on Thursday when in fact you weren't might even be a teensy-weensy bit fraudulent. Don't do it.

It seems odd that the HR police would strike so quickly, simply in response to a 1 day absence. Is there something you haven't told us? I would apologize the the manager for not being there (and don't mention "drink" in the apology, just say you were unwell). If you are otherwise okay they should forgive you.
    Many companies look down on employees who don't turn up the day after a company celebration which involves alcohol particularly if they are American.

Now for a contractor not to turn up and be openly very p*ssed the night before is really not a good idea.

If you are going to get p*ssed on a school night then do it out of view of your client and make your illness look real.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

FFS again.

Clearly someone has opened the socks their mum got them as a stocking filler a tad early and has glued some googly eyes on one of them.

Can we have a sockpuppet or fishing rod smilie for Christmas please admin?
      Last edited by Pondlife; 15 December 2017, 18:00. Reason: timing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Many companies look down on employees who don't turn up the day after a company celebration which involves alcohol particularly if they are American.

Now for a contractor not to turn up and be openly very p*ssed the night before is really not a good idea.

If you are going to get p*ssed on a school night then do it out of view of your client and make your illness look real.
        Back in my day, you pulled yourself out of the hedge you slept in, rolled in and billed for the day
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Who knows? I guess that very important piece of information will come to light somewhere later on down the thread as usual.
          Only if the master decides to keep this one going beyond one post.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Maybe he means he worked from home - a laugh from your manager isn’t any kind of understanding or agreement.

Or maybe he’s trollin.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              He was wondering why you're always in the shower when he turns up.
              I usually tulip myself with excitement knowing he’s coming so need to clean..
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

When the client co sets up a party on a Thursday night, its precisely to judge who gets pissed on free booze. I deliberately lay off the booze and head home just after dinner so I can be in the office before anyone else.

OP's name sounds Indian, so I am guessing not really a seasoned contractor, just someone who grabbed an opportunity without actually reading through the contract. Sigh....I am guessing we will have a new thread about sacked without a notice period.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  When the client co sets up a party on a Thursday night, its precisely to judge who gets pissed on free booze. I deliberately lay off the booze and head home just after dinner so I can be in the office before anyone else.

OP's name sounds Indian, so I am guessing not really a seasoned contractor, just someone who grabbed an opportunity without actually reading through the contract. Sigh....I am guessing we will have a new thread about sacked without a notice period.
                  yeh, bless his wee cotton socks

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    I usually tulip myself with excitement knowing he’s coming so need to clean..
                    I think the old man played second policewoman in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by saurabh1 View Post
                      hi, long time lurker first time poster. i have been contracting at a large bank for 5 months

last night it was the christmas night out. i was not able to make it in this morning. i was already pretty drunk by the time my manager left about 10pm and said there wasn,t much chance of me getting in today. he just laughed so i assumed it would be okay.

anyway next thing i am getting a call from HR

they are saying that i will not be getting paid for today and want a meeting on monday 9am to 'discuss the situation'

it is a 12 month contract so if they try to terminate can i say this is breach of contract?

also can they say they won't pay me for today? as far as i am concerned this was agreed in advance with my line manager?
                      hope its all good.
                      you cant be paid for the day you did not work, and the manager should not report you to HR for not coming next day, because you informed him already.
                      Dont think its a big deal, I usually just call them same day in the morning to inform them that am not coming, never been an issue.
                      If you are working for some 3rd party staffing agency who want to control you, its another issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X