• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been asked to install key logging software...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a no from me.

Email them the points why you won't be installing it.

See what their response it.

Be prepared to walk.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

No. It would constitute a security breach for your other clients. An excellent reason not to install the software, and one that can be pleasantly worded.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        No. It would constitute a security breach for your other clients. An excellent reason not to install the software, and one that can be pleasantly worded.
        or tell them to **** off, not pleasantly worded but apt...

Comment

On site on a customer’s computer - fine, they can do what they want on their machines though I probably wouldn’t stick around with a client that has trust issues like that.

On my laptop in my office, they would be politely told to **** right off, the cheeky *****.

Edit: well actually, polite might be stretching things. If a client asked me to do this my response would be very blunt and matter of fact. For all the reasons outlined in this thread. I would make it very clear that I was not happy that they even asked.
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 18 January 2018, 17:40.

Comment

Originally posted by skysurfer View Post
            Hi all,

Situation: I am a contractor, work from home, and use my own laptop. One of my clients has asked me to install a key logger on my laptop, that will record key strokes and send screen shots to them, so they can "accurately record time spent on individual projects". I have several problems with this:

3. Concerned that there may be IR35 issues.
            That's sounds like extreme micro management to me, almost certainly direction & control and inside IR35 ("I see on Monday you opened the Opera browser between 9-00am and 9-20am .. why ?").

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              or tell them to **** off, not pleasantly worded but apt...
              ++1 for this

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                ++1 for this
                Wow - you just started where I work ? I made the same post on here a few days ago, sorry i had not updated what the outcome was.

I worked out how to uninstall the monitoring tool, I was approached by HR bod and asked why I had done it. Said not willing to be monitored. Said if they would like me to leave then no problem. I never heard from them again (was a week ago). Although it might have helped I saved them £50k that day!

I would never ever have considered to have it installed on my own machine! that's madness!

Maybe this is some weird trend!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  That is utter b*llocks.

If they don't trust you to do the work they are paying you for, then you are immediately starting on a bad footing.

If you can afford to, I would be direct with them and simply tell them if they don't trust you then feel free to cancel the contract. (is that requirement in the contract?? if not even better.)

"I'm good at my job, and I am a professional. You will get what you are paying for, I am not trying to cheat you out of time/money. If that isn't good enough for you, I'd like to point out that the requirement for this software is not in the contract you signed. You can either cancel the contract, or we can continue as professionals, and I will complete the services I have been contracted to provide".

I'm trying to imagine some gimp manager looking through hours of logs, screenshots, and trying to figure out if it all adds up to "yes he was working all that time". Total nonsense.
                  This is the only correct answer, IMHO.

The client asking for keylogging software to be installed is merely the tip of the iceberg. Even if you complied with the request (and there's many reasons not to as other posters have pointed out), it won't take away the fact that this client has a major trust issue and is attempting to address this through overbearing micro-management. I don't believe that any amount of acquiescence on your behalf will appease the client's concerns. They're simply paranoid and that's not going to change, keylogging or not.

So, tell them politely that you'll not be doing this under any circumstances. jmo21's draft letter is a good way to do it. Alternately, you could do this.
                  Last edited by billybiro; 19 January 2018, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by skysurfer View Post
                    Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, *newbie here*, but need some advice please.

Situation: I am a contractor, work from home, and use my own laptop. One of my clients has asked me to install a key logger on my laptop, that will record key strokes and send screen shots to them, so they can "accurately record time spent on individual projects". I have several problems with this:

1. I have more than one client, and am pretty sure my other clients would have concerns about data security if I had a key logger installed.
                    2. It is my laptop, not a client supplied one.
                    3. Concerned that there may be IR35 issues.

I need to explain myself to them, to say why I am not going to be installing their key logger on my laptop (I think it is likely to be a volatile meeting as the client is a little direct, and may well end in the termination of this contract!), and was wondering if there is any opinions/references etc out there that I can cadge to support my assertions. Any other opinions?

Really grateful for any help!

Cheers,
                    Sky
                    Propose to them an amended version of your contract, defining new terms around the key logging software and give them a new 'per keystroke' quotation.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm meeting the tech director on Tuesday, I'll let you know how it all goes!

Comment

Working...
                      X