• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I register my limited company address as my UK home address?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I register my limited company address as my UK home address?

What are the financial benefits of Registering company address as my home address? What are the disadvantages ?

Reg Office

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
    What are the financial benefits of Registering company address as my home address? What are the disadvantages ?
    You can register your home address as the registered address, however if you're in rented accommodation then your landlord may not be too happy about this. If that's the case then ask your accountant (sorry @NLUK) to provide the service.

Companies House send most official paperwork to the registered office (along with some spam), HMRC send most items there as well. Better for transparency that you receive these documents so that you're aware of any deadlines, etc.

Personal preference would be to have it at your home but sometimes not an option.

Comment

I have it at my accountants 250 miles away.

There's the spam issue but also the fact that your address is in the public domain which I wasn't too happy about.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroeng View Post
        Advantages are:
        1. You can offset a proportion of household costs against business expenses. I have a dedicated office at home purely for business and my accountant does some calculations against tax including mortgage apportionment of some sort (yes, I should know, but I trust him and pay him to do this), broadband, phone, heating and maintenance.
        2. You get to see all the official correspondence.

The disadvantages are:
        1. You get to see all the official correspondence! (Instead of registering, say, your accountant's office whereby he gets hassled with it all).
        2. If you have any angry customers they'll come knocking on your door.
        3. If you ever sell the house, you need to de-register the business from this address.
        4. You need to inform your mortgage company that you're running a business from the property.
        5. You need to review your household insurance.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. STYA.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
          Advantages are:
          1. You can offset a proportion of household costs against business expenses. I have a dedicated office at home purely for business and my accountant does some calculations against tax including mortgage apportionment of some sort (yes, I should know, but I trust him and pay him to do this), broadband, phone, heating and maintenance.
          You don't need to have the ltd company address at home in order to claim expenses for a home office.. And doesn't having a "dedicated" office at home bring more tax implications such as when you attempt to sell the property, as opposed to a shared use room?

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
            You don't need to have the ltd company address at home in order to claim expenses for a home office.. And doesn't having a "dedicated" office at home bring more tax implications such as when you attempt to sell the property, as opposed to a shared use room?
            Trying to recall what my accountant told me.
            I think HMRC routinely allow something like £18/month for a home office. However, if it is actually your business premises (and recognised as such on your mortgage etc.) then a pro rata apportionment of total costs is allowable. This can be much more than £18/month.
            Imagine the landlord who lives over the pub: the vast majority of heating expenses, for example, will be the pub and not the flat. Maybe 95% of heating expenses will be allowable.

Anyway, the standard advice is: speak to your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
              Trying to recall what my accountant told me.
              I think HMRC routinely allow something like £18/month for a home office. However, if it is actually your business premises (and recognised as such on your mortgage etc.) then a pro rata apportionment of total costs is allowable. This can be much more than £18/month.
              Imagine the landlord who lives over the pub: the vast majority of heating expenses, for example, will be the pub and not the flat. Maybe 95% of heating expenses will be allowable.

Anyway, the standard advice is: speak to your accountant.
              £4/week for home office expenses or £208 per annum taken as a lump sum is what my accountants told me.

OP I would have your address registered with your accountants. Most offer this service and it keeps your home address outside of the public domain. The additional point about having rented premises is also true, most landlords forbid you to use your home address as a ltd. company address.

Comment

The problem with registering the company at your home address, is that anyone will be able to see it on the companies house register, and any and all of your mad ex girlfriends may turn up without warning.

Comment

Have a good read of the newbies guides to the right...

Be aware that anything you can think of at your stage has been asked endlessly so make use of the google search function. Type <keywords> site:contractoruk.com and you'll find plenty of stuff...

And speak to your accountant. You are paying for a service so use it and get all the info you need from him. You shouldn't be paying 100 quid a month but have to come to a free forum for questions like this.

Oh.. and don't forget you can google stuff as well.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am in a similar situation with similar question.

The lease for my rented flat forbids me from "running a business at my address" and that would include registering the company there. There are also concerns about your address being publicly available to identity thieves.

I also like the idea of not ever having anybody knocking on my front door about company business.

Rented service addresses are quite reasonable value and I don't see why you wouldn't go for one to be honest. Just be sure to due proper due diligence on the address provider.. look them up in companies house.

One outstanding question is what happens if the address services goes out of business or falls delinquent of their obligations to you and you miss some important documentation from HMRC or Companies House? Would any body care to answer or have experience with this?

Comment

Working...
                    X