• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tie or No-Tie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always a tie for the interview without exception even if you're told you don't need to wear one.

If I'm on the client site I always wear a tie to distinguish myself from the casual permie rabble. The permies put their ties on when they are visiting their clients - I do the same when I'm visiting mine.

One of the permie MD's asked me why I was always wearing a tie and I gave him that exact reason. Go to an IR35 tribunal and it's the sum of all the little stuff like that that puts clear air between passing and failing.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      If I'm on the client site I always wear a tie to distinguish myself from the casual permie rabble. The permies put their ties on when they are visiting their clients - I do the same when I'm visiting mine.
      I remember the defining moment where I stopped wearing ties. One gig in a bank, everyone wore ties at this time. I used to like wearing a waistcoat at times or when it was cold. No one blinked.
      Next gig telecoms. Dress down was an understatement, to the point of obscene. Boxers and Arse cracks showing all over the place, summer tops with no bra's in air con offices. It was like studentville again. Wore the suit for a couple of weeks before finally going to buy myself a smart casual set of clothes. Still got the nickname 'the suit' which I kinda liked. Even better when everyone opened the door and asked me if I wanted a coffee just because I had a suit on
      By the time I finished that ties were a thing of the past and never worn one since except interview.

One of the permie MD's asked me why I was always wearing a tie and I gave him that exact reason. Go to an IR35 tribunal and it's the sum of all the little stuff like that that puts clear air between passing and failing.
      However close it is, I don't believe wearing a tie on site will make one jot of difference in an IR35 investigation sorry. Wearing what you want on site won't put you out, nor will falling in line with client culture put you inside. It's just client courtesy. Good business maybe, defining your tax status? I'd say no.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        However close it is, I don't believe wearing a tie on site will make one jot of difference in an IR35 investigation sorry. Wearing what you want on site won't put you out, nor will falling in line with client culture put you inside. It's just client courtesy. Good business maybe, defining your tax status? I'd say no.
        From the personal experience of a four year IR35 investigation all of these small things paint a picture. It might not matter in every case but in mine, the sum of many items like this plus stored emails and similar helped stop my case going to the commissioners.
        Last edited by Lockhouse; 6 March 2018, 17:16.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Never a tie for me. Interviewed in the City without and got the gig, even though the guy interviewing wore one.

Comment

Definitely a tie at interview.

Then if you get the gig, use your own professional judgement about what to wear and how you wish to be perceived.
            I’d always take the lead from whatever your timesheet signer wears.

Comment

I wear jeans and a hoodie. Once showed up in shorts and t-shirt. It's never stopped me from getting the job. I gather it depends what you do though.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                I wear jeans and a hoodie. Once showed up in shorts and t-shirt. It's never stopped me from getting the job. I gather it depends what you do though.
                I've also never worn a tie to interview and never not been offered the job/contract - millennial generation innit

Comment

Always suit and tie to interview. You never know, you may get one stuffy git who doesn't like the cut of your jib etc.

Now you may say "well I don't want to work there then"..... maybe, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be a bad gig.

Same for the first day, suit and tie, unless what the interviewer(s) (if male) could help guide the decision.

Comment

If you get interviewed by the techy people who know what they're doing then they won't care what you're wearing as long as you can do the job.

Disclaimer: you won't always be interviewed by the techy people who know what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      .... Might be overdressed for work there but no client is going to be off if you wear a suit to interview.
                      Absolutely not true. I know plenty of clients, including one of my current ones, where turning up in a suit would be an automatic (small) red flag. They regard it as 'legacy' dressing and, wrongly in my view, associate it with legacy software and legacy attitudes.

This makes it hard for the contractor. I suppose the best advice is the traditional one: dress as your client does.

Comment

Working...
                      X