• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where does the VAT come from??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just started as a contractor and just received my first invoice (Well my Ltd company has) and I've noticed that my week's work as well as VAT has been charged to my Ltd company. My question is, how is my Ltd company supposed to pay for my services AND the VAT when it’s only received the money for my services???
    I should also say that I got this position through an agency to which the invoice is addressed. Should I send it to them?

Originally posted by Sambola View Post
    I've just started as a contractor and just received my first invoice (Well my Ltd company has) and I've noticed that my week's work as well as VAT has been charged to my Ltd company. My question is, how is my Ltd company supposed to pay for my services AND the VAT when it’s only received the money for my services???
    I should also say that I got this position through an agency to which the invoice is addressed. Should I send it to them?
    Not sure I understand. The client/agency is charging you for working for them? It is usually the other way around.

Comment

eh?????

You do work.
      Your company invoices the agency.

Someone does work for your company. They invoice your company.

An invoice is a 'bill' for work done.

Sorry to sound patronising but your post seems very confused about who does what for who.

Have you got an accountant? If not get one.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Your limited company doesn’t pay for your services. You invoice your client company (usually via your agency) for those services and they pay you.

Are you perhaps confusing this “invoice” with a remittance statement?

Comment

The way I've been told by my accountant is that I obviously pay myself from my Ltd company. But who pays for this VAT?

Comment

First thing for you to do is read the First Timers guide under CUK Navigation on the right --> then work your way down the links.

After that there are helpful guides by organisations such as IPSE, and accountants like SDJ accountancy you can read to clarify your understanding.

Secondly engage an accountant. The accountant is not your financial advisor but they will help you work out wages, dividends etc though you need to have some clue about what you are talking about (hence read the guides first) before you ask them questions.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There’s too many things wrong with this to even start answering without many back and forth replies.

Therefore I suggest you ask your accountant to clear everything up for you as you don’t appear to have any level of understanding how this works.

If you don’t have an accountant then get one.

Edit - so... what Sue said.

Comment

The way I've been told by my accountant is that I obviously pay myself from my Ltd company. But who pays for this VAT?
                You have an accountant, you must ask your accountant to explain.

The knowledge gaps you're displaying are deep enough that I think you won't be able to understand the answers people might give you here. For that reason, I'm closing this thread.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                X