• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to contracting , PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to contracting , PLEASE HELP

Hi Team,

I am stuck in a situation and need advise from the experts/experience team mates here.

I am looking to move into contracting , however most of the job advert needs finance/insurance/asset management experience which I do not have and neither I have good network/contacts who can refer my candidature.

In this scenario can someone advise how to move to contracting I am happy to work with minimum rate given that am looking more to gain experience and way to move into the relevant domains.

OR can anyone give me some demo/helping hand who is working in bank to a level where I could demonstrate my knowledge if not experience

or do i need to forget moving into contracting ?

Please help me ASAP.

Thanks

Originally posted by MARTINSH View Post
    Hi Team,

I am stuck in a situation and need advise from the experts/experience team mates here.

I am looking to move into contracting , however most of the job advert needs finance/insurance/asset management experience which I do not have and neither I have good network/contacts who can refer my candidature.

In this scenario can someone advise how to move to contracting I am happy to work with minimum rate given that am looking more to gain experience and way to move into the relevant domains.

OR can anyone give me some demo/helping hand who is working in bank to a level where I could demonstrate my knowledge if not experience

Please help me ASAP.

Thanks
    Welcome, Martin!

Questions:
    1. Why are wanting to move into contracting?
    2. What is your area of expertise?
    3. Where are you looking for roles?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The finance sector is not looking too bright, so it will be difficult to get a contract, you would be better off looking elsewhere, or try to go permie.

If the advert requires experience in or knowledge in finance there is no way around it, you won't be put forward unless you have that. Some roles really do require that knowledge. There are others that don't i.e. purely technical and that is almost always in the role description.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

You need advice.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You need advice.
          Incorrect.
          OP needs a reality check.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

...however most of the job advert needs finance/insurance/asset management experience which I do not have,,,
            I've been contracting since 1995. I also do not have that experience. Why not try to find job adverts that match the skills you do have?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Incorrect.
              OP needs a reality check.
              I was just correcting his request for advise. Should have quoted for context really.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi Team,

Please help me ASAP.

Thanks
                So, you have no experience and no contacts.
                May I politely suggest that you start to get some of each?

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                  So, you have no experience and no contacts.
                  May I politely suggest that you start to get some of each?
                  What he said - do this while you're in a permanent position.

Comment

Nobody here is going to give you a helping hand to get into a bank - nobody here knows who you are, so you're asking strangers to risk their reputation on recommending you because of your knowledge. If you find someone here that will do that, they have no reputation to risk so aren't worth asking.

Contractors sell their expertise and knowledge. If you haven't got it, you can't sell it - it's quite simple.

Get the knowledge, get the network, sell the knowledge to the network - if you have neither then you are going to struggle as a contractor.

Comment

Working...
                    X