• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not extending - how to discuss with clientco

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not extending - how to discuss with clientco

My contract expires in a couple of weeks and I have led clientco to believe that I will extend while simultaneously pursuing opportunities elsewhere.
    One of those opportunities has borne fruit and I will be taking it. How do you recommend I approach the conversation with clientco? They will feel that I've let them down and not given them much opportunity to get someone else in. I think that the bridges may be irreparably burnt if not handled well.

Thanks,

HW.

Have you got a substitute that you can use?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So you wanted your cake and eat it but don't want to deal with the fall out? Nice.

You are going to have to tell them (as soon as possible) due to a change in circumstances you are no longer available to extend. Apologise profusely and then just shoulder any fall out. You might be lucky, you might not. That's the gamble when you play your client.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 29 May 2018, 08:26.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you direct or through an agent?
        If you are direct, then you're going to have to accept that if you led the client on, then you have burnt the bridges. What you're looking at now is damage limitation.
        LondonManc mentions substitution. He might mean "while accepting the contract yourself", but if you re actually concerned for your reputation with the client, maybe if you know someone who can do your job as well as you who is available, then contact that person directly, see if they would be interested, then when you go to the client, you can say that you are sorry you won't be able to extend, but you know of this person who is good and available.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          So you wanted your cake and eat it but don't want to deal with the fall out? Nice.

You are going to have to tell them (as soon as possible) due to a change in circumstances you are no longer available to extend. Apologise profusely and then just shoulder any fall out. You might be lucky, you might not. That's the gamble when you play your client.
          ^^This.

If you're hedging your bets in the run up to an extension, don't discuss with the client until they come to you.

If they come to you, especially well in advance of renewal time, tell them you'll take it under consideration and get back to them.

When you make a mess, deal with it.

We can now look forward to the 'I've refused an extension at my current client but my new contract has fallen through. What legal action can I take ?' thread.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I knew full well what I was doing and am willing to deal with the fallout. I was seeking advice on the best way to do this.
            For info, I'm through an agent (although the client has just changed their prime agency so they're asking me to switch agents) and realistically can not provide a substitute.

Comment

Go the manager who you work for, and say that you'll be leaving in two weeks. Then tell the agent you're not renewing. Your client needs to hear from you, not the agent.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Things change. You won't be the first supplier who has pulled out after provisionally committing to do some work.

What I would concentrate on is not getting left high and dry. That's Rule Number One of contracting.

So don't tell them anything until the last possible minute.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Go the manager who you work for, and say that you'll be leaving in two weeks. Then tell the agent you're not renewing. Your client needs to hear from you, not the agent.
                  Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  Things change. You won't be the first supplier who has pulled out after provisionally committing to do some work.

What I would concentrate on is not getting left high and dry. That's Rule Number One of contracting.

So don't tell them anything until the last possible minute.
                  Combine these two and you've got a complete answer.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I was once informally offered an extension at a leading high street bank only to stroll in on my last day to a tap on the shoulder saying sorry, it's not happening, thanks for all the fish....
                    A few weeks earler, I had turned down an offer from another place as 'I don't walk off a contract'.

Started looking out for myself first after this, you can act ethically and not walk off signed contracts but when that expires, it is open season.
                    MAKE SURE THE OTHER ONE IS CERTAIN, try to get out clean, suck it up if they get nasty...

Comment

Working...
                    X