• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Premature end

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premature end

What are the thoughts on leaving a gig prematurely?

If you worked in a relatively niche area and had been at a client for a reasonable period of time, but in addition to the realisation that they are rather dysfunctional in several key areas with no real likelihood or prospect of improvement, you have a better paid and more interesting opportunity arise? Consider that opportunities in said niche area are obviously less frequent, thus they demand serious consideration, but this is set against an upcoming project with existing client that could potentially be impacted by leaving, though not by as much as they might think.
    Asking for a friend.

Originally posted by BatteryTester View Post
    What are the thoughts on leaving a gig prematurely?

If you worked in a relatively niche area and had been at a client for a reasonable period of time, but in addition to the realisation that they are rather dysfunctional in several key areas with no real likelihood or prospect of improvement, you have a better paid and more interesting opportunity arise? Consider that opportunities in said niche area are obviously less frequent, thus they demand serious consideration, but this is set against an upcoming project with existing client that could potentially be impacted by leaving, though not by as much as they might think.
    Asking for a friend.
    Leave.

But keep it classy. Hand over well. Offer to make yourself available after contract ends for the odd day if they need your friend's niche expertise or to hand over to a new resource.

Comment

Serving notice on the contract (if this is what you are considering) is best avoided, but is always an option. I did it once only, giving up on a gig I wasn't enjoying, 80 miles from home, for another, lower paid role 10 miles from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Leave.

But keep it classy. Hand over well. Offer to make yourself available after contract ends for the odd day if they need your friend's niche expertise or to hand over to a new resource.
        Almost exactly sums up what my friend was considering.

Comment

Make sure the gig is in the bag rather than leave on a speculative punt. Unless you're happy to have some bench time.

I have left gigs before the term is up and, as others have noted, it's all about HOW you leave. Be professional and courteous. Do a good quality hand over. If you leave on good terms, there's always a chance they'll ask you back in the future.

Comment

I thought this was a thread about MF's sex life.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you asked your doctor?
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                Have you asked your doctor?
                Yeah, he gave my friend a couple of options, 1) think about Jacob Rees-Mogg, or 2) ask a bunch of successful contractors on a public internet forum.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Make sure the gig is in the bag rather than leave on a speculative punt. Unless you're happy to have some bench time.

I have left gigs before the term is up and, as others have noted, it's all about HOW you leave. Be professional and courteous. Do a good quality hand over. If you leave on good terms, there's always a chance they'll ask you back in the future.
                That's what I advised him as well. A good hand over, even possibly going back for follow up day or two if it works for all concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Bar the rare case of extenuating circumstances - people who leave early probably don't want to return I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
                    Bar the rare case of extenuating circumstances - people who leave early probably don't want to return I would have thought.
                    Nah not at all. Depends on the circumstances and there are plenty of those that would mean a return could be desirable/possible.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X