• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next Ventures Terrible Contract Conditions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    @OP - Did you happen to join IPSE before signing the contract? If so, then you could be protected under the terms where the Agency breaks the contract?

https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefits.html
    This. The T&C's say..

https://www.ipse.co.uk/our/terms-and-conditions.html

5. Failure of an Agency to honour contractual arrangements

a. If an agency cancels your contract before you start work IPSE will pay you compensation of £1,000 provided that

· The contract had been signed by both parties

· The reason for cancellation excludes any form of misrepresentation on the part of the IPSE member

· The reason for cancellation excludes any form of disqualification of the IPSE member due to:-

o Failure of identity verification checks

o Failure of other background checks including but not limited to credit, CRB and DBS checks

o Failure to prove you have the right to work in the United Kingdom
    There does seem to be a slip up on their pages though. If you expand the basic membership section there appears to be a typo

Up to £1,000 compensation if an agency breaks its contract

If an agency does not meet the terms of the contract that is in place IPSE will compensate you up to £2,000 based on your day rate as per your current contract**
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for replies

Well couple of clarifications, I am doing contracting for last 3 years and it was not my first contract. It was agreed in the contract that the client will provide the minimum number of hours workload to the supplier (me) and if client fails to assign the workload agreed in the contract still he will pay for the minimum hours agreed. So no bulltulip like if they don't assign me work then they are not supposed to pay. It was certainly difficult negotiations to get all those changes to the contract since they were simply not willing to change anything instead lieing and making funny interpretations of the clauses what even a fool will not believe. Even after having all that clarity I still missed one clause and it costed me large sum of money since I left an existing contract for this one.

But I am still wondering either anyone ever worked for them and have any good or bad experience?

Comment

It wasn't my first contract but ....

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        This isn’t unusual in the contract market. It’s not nice but not unusual. It’s up to you to read the contract and either negotiate bits out of it or choose not to sign at all.

Was this your first contract or was it permanent employment (as you’re referring to yourself as an employee)?
        Well it wasn't my first contract in fact as I mentioned earlier I did negotiated the contract and ensured I will get the minimum number of hours work every week and the lawyer I consulted he also agreed that I should be paid for the notice period but when I pointed to another benign looking clause in the contract he got disappointed and said he can't help in such case.

Have you ever heard of this company? I have come across one old thread with the similar issues for Next Ventures on this board, so I am just curious if there are others in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by faisalsb View Post
          Well it wasn't my first contract in fact as I mentioned earlier I did negotiated the contract and ensured I will get the minimum number of hours work every week and the lawyer I consulted he also agreed that I should be paid for the notice period but when I pointed to another benign looking clause in the contract he got disappointed and said he can't help in such case.

Have you ever heard of this company? I have come across one old thread with the similar issues for Next Ventures on this board, so I am just curious if there are others in the same boat.
          Fancy telling us what it is so we have a hope of trying to help you? I'd focus on the problems with the contract rather than the company for the moment. As we've all pointed out already, from our experiences this isn't uncommon and you aren't due notice period. You seem to think other wise. Until we've cleared this up it isn't necessarily the agent at fault.

We've had plenty of threads where people go off on one about the agent or the client and got the wrong end of the stick from the off so apologies if we seem to be focusing on the contract.

EDIT : Would this clause be something around not being paid without a signed timesheet would it?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does it really matter???? you are contracted to do a certain job in a a specific place for a length of time just go on and do it

Comment

I had been contracting through them for nearly 3 years. Their payment schedule was 6 weeks from the invoice date, which was a bit long but I went on with it. Who is your contact, was it Darren?

Comment

My Contacts...

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                I had been contracting through them for nearly 3 years. Their payment schedule was 6 weeks from the invoice date, which was a bit long but I went on with it. Who is your contact, was it Darren?
                My contacts were Omid and Ana at Next Ventures, I understand contracting is not like permanent job and you only get what you negotiated for. I have seen many contractors using the word PIMP for recruiters including moderator of this board, I am wondering either literally all of them are like that or some have better face value?

Another thing they told me was that the project was cancelled and many other people were impacted too. I am talking about starting of this year and the end client was NN Insurance in Prague, Czech Republic, just wondering either it's true.

Second thing that I fail to understand is, as I understand the recruiters work based on work order and they confirmed earlier they had already received the work order. Can the Client cancel the work order without any penalty?

Comment

Originally posted by faisalsb View Post
                  My contacts were Omid and Ana at Next Ventures, I understand contracting is not like permanent job and you only get what you negotiated for. I have seen many contractors using the word PIMP for recruiters including moderator of this board, I am wondering either literally all of them are like that or some have better face value?

Another thing they told me was that the project was cancelled and many other people were impacted too. I am talking about starting of this year and the end client was NN Insurance in Prague, Czech Republic, just wondering either it's true.

Second thing that I fail to understand is, as I understand the recruiters work based on work order and they confirmed earlier they had already received the work order. Can the Client cancel the work order without any penalty?
                  Correction. You don't even get what you negotiated for. You always have to have plan B.

This is why a contractor must have the skills that would make a a client not to loose you. And permies would be no where near this. And that's why contractor rates are what they are.

If your skills are hot, you wouldn't have raised this question at all. As a contractor, we keep ourselves on top of the game. We produce and deliver things that might take permies, years to achieve. And that's where we make the difference (unless you are good at kajoling / convincing your timesheet guy).

So, you have been contracting for 3 years, some agent/client screwed it up, just move on.

//I pointed to another benign looking clause in the contract he got disappointed and said he can't help in such case...

What was it that you pointed out ...If you are unwilling to provide this info, nobody can guess it and provide an answer that you will find suitable.

If you are unwilling to provide this info, then you get what you negotiated for or capable of.
                  Last edited by BigDataPro; 31 August 2018, 19:12.

Comment

Working...
                  X