• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    There are two types of contractors in this world. Those that complain about other contractors jumping ship from one gig to the next for extra $$$. And those that jump ship from one gig to the next for that sweet, sweet extra $$$. Don't be the first type.
    What about the more common 3rd type?

Contractors who complain about other contractors who jump ship but don't admit that they'd do the same given half a chance,
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
      A few months in my current contract, it's a very decent gig and interesting project. However, got another one offered for 20% more because my niche skills is rare on the market.
      Should I take it?
      On first pass, no. But this is based only on how I operate.

I daresay, long term, it would not make any real difference as there are hundreds of agents and hundreds of contract gigs. But it is the precedence you set for yourself. Do it once, and it could become de rigueur, and maybe then you get a rep for contract breaking. Contracting in industry areas can still be a small world.

I get asked by agents all the time if I would be prepared to drop out of a gig for their offering. I ask them if they would like to be the agent on the receiving end of my dropping out... Thereafter, there is usually a silence.

Anyway, it has to be your decision as I am sure the 20% cannot be the Only factor. Work content, commute, working environment also probably playing a part. Am sure you will make the right decision for yourself. Good luck.

Comment

A few months in my current contract, it's a very decent gig and interesting project. However, got another one offered for 20% more because my niche skills is rare on the market.
        Should I take it?
        I'm in the same boat but I'm only two weeks into my current contract!

A job I interviewed for over the summer has suddenly offered a 12 month contract which is closer to home, better job and a 12 month contract.

Problem is that I'm in a contract with a major Telco and it'd probably mean burning bridges with them and the agency.

I've been contracting for 25 years now and this is the first time ever I'm considering giving notice.

Comment

Originally posted by heathen666 View Post

A job I interviewed for over the summer has suddenly offered a 12 month contract which is closer to home, better job and a 12 month contract.

Problem is that I'm in a contract with a major Telco and it'd probably mean burning bridges with them and the agency.

I've been contracting for 25 years now and this is the first time ever I'm considering giving notice.
          Don't forget the use of the word 'potentially' in your pro's....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've found that the smaller the company, the more likely they are to give you no notice if they're calling time on your gig. Unless you're staying away versus being able to stay at home, then you clearly took the telco gig on because it's acceptable.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Should I take it?
              Tell current client you've been offered another gig at 30% more, you would like to stay on but they would need to match it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Don't forget the use of the word 'potentially' in your pro's....
                Yes, that's very true!

Comment

Could you use a substitute ?

Comment

If the telco in question is Voda, they change their managers every two weeks so even if you wanted to go back, chances are in four weeks no one would be around to provide a reference.

(For those, earnestly challenged in humour, slightly tongue in cheek but the essence is there.)

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                      If the telco in question is Voda, they change their managers every two weeks so even if you wanted to go back, chances are in four weeks no one would be around to provide a reference.

(For those, earnestly challenged in humour, slightly tongue in cheek but the essence is there.)
                      It's not Voda, but the deed is done. I tried the sub route but seems like my agency has found a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X