• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please advice. Struggling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OP sounds like my 15 year old son who says he wants to be a YouTube blogger when he grows up and earn $1 miillion a year.

I tell him "if it were that simple why isn't everyone doing it".

Similarly, a lot of my family think I'm "lucky" because I earn loads by just sitting in an office all day. (They have no idea what I earn but guess). As you all know, there is a bit more to it than that.....
    You mean you're signing on as well?

Comment

Originally posted by tajch View Post
      Hi Guys,

I'm 36, have been in Travel and Tourism business for more than 16 years.

Since last few years things have gone horribly wrong, lost major clients and suppliers also organic SEO ranking on Google went down. Don’t have any funds for marketing and advertise.

I have no source of income at the moment. I'm in debt of approx. £35K (Bank OD, Credit Cards, Friends/Family). Tried everything possible but don’t see any hope in this business unless I bring in some new investment. Which I don’t want to at the moment, had too much stress in last few year to make sure business repay back all the bank loans. Don’t want to liquidate the company neither do I want to go bankrupt.

I'm thinking of taking a break from business and getting into contracting for a year or so, payback my debt and have some survival funds for few months to get back into some other business.

I'm from NON IT/ Non tech background. I can see contracting opportunity are mostly in IT and fintech related. I have experience mostly into management and day to day operations, I have managed IT service providers and teams of approx. 20 staff (contractors and permanents).

What would you advice to someone from NON IT background

Q- What skill I should have which are in demand or can be learned quickly to get into contracting to get paid £200-£500 PD ?

I can see there are lot of courses on Udemy and other websites. Will be happy to work voluntary for a month or so to get bit of experience if needed also happy to work anywhere in country.

Q- How easy do you think it will be to get into contracting ?

Thanks

Dev
      Ive been in IT for 15 years but I Watched a few hours of casualty on iplayer earlier today.
      Can't wait to start my new career as a registrar within the NHS next week.

Seriously, I waited ten years before I felt like I have enough knowledge and experience to start contracting.. do.people just think.companies will hand them money because they spent a few hours on udemy?

Comment

Working...
      X