• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Employed IT Contractor – Recruitment Agency Withholding Payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact is that clients can take a dislike to contractors for any reason (I knew a guy who got marched off site because he had a shiny new Macbook and the permies got jealous of that), and the clients who don't really understand the nature of their contracts will cite poor performance as the reason rather than "Sorry, we simply are not offering any further work".

If the client chooses to itemise the poor performance and that boils down to the contractor being a lazy **** rather than because the client didn't choose well at interview time then perhaps - subject to contract - they might have a claim, but that is probably one for a court room to explore whether said poor performance was legitimate and met any contracted threshold.

Get an account with Thomas Higgins (Business Debt Collection & Recovery Solicitors | Thomas Higgins Limited), as soon as the debt becomes overdue get them to issue a Late Payment Demand to to agency (cost is £3) and take it from there. Chances are, they'll capitulate once they get a nastygram from a legal firm rather than waiting patiently for the county court claim form. Alternatively, if your business has Legal Expenses insurance or IPSE+ membership, then use that.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

If the client cites poor performance when this was not the case, could this be slander/libel?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
        If the client cites poor performance when this was not the case, could this be slander/libel?
        Only if you have a few 100k to spend on a court case.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Presuming it is via your ltd co, sue them via a small claim and they are unlikely to get costs even if they win however, empty you ltd co bank account before going to court.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by xtonehari View Post
            The recruitment agency (xyz) I had a contract to work for a client is withholding the payment.

The client ended the contract stating that they are not happy with my performance and paid for the all work done plus one week additional for the notice period.

The recruitment agency saying they shall deduct from my payment because I breached the contract by not performing to the required standard and they incurred losses. In accordance with clause 3(f) and 10 of the contract, XZY shall deduct this sum from outstanding invoices.

Please advise on how to respond to the agency claim.

PS: I have extracted section 3(f) and 10 from the contract and shown below.

3 (f) Whenever under this Contract or otherwise arising from the relationship between XYZ and the Consultant Company any sum of money shall be recoverable from or payable by the Consultant Company, the same may be deducted from any sum then due, or which thereafter may become due, to the Consultant Company under this Contract, or any other contract between XYZ and the Consultant Company (or any of its affiliates).

10 Indemnity
            The Consultant Company shall indemnify and hold harmless XYZ against any and all claims costs expenses losses or damages whether direct or consequential arising from the Consultant Company's breach of any provision of this Contract including all administration costs and all claims costs expenses losses or damages arising from the negligence or acts or omissions of the Consultant Company or its employees agents or subcontractors.
            They have not incurred a loss. They have merely not made as much profit as they anticipated.

Have them clarify each and every point, such as what provisions you have broken and how.

Were there any performance standards stated in the contract? What benchmark are they comparing your performance against?

And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Presuming it is via your ltd co, sue them via a small claim and they are unlikely to get costs even if they win however, empty you ltd co bank account before going to court.
              I wouldn't really want any money, just for them to withdraw any misrepresentation about the quality of my work. I once worked for a company that was in a long chain of contractors. Another contractor failed to deliver something and blamed us. Letters were sent, they withdrew their claims about us and came up with a different reason for their failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                bad advice.....

For a start costs aren't awarded to either party in a small claims court.

Secondly.. if the LTD goes bankrupt, whilst that will cover you personally against liability, you will be on a list as a director of a bankrupt LTD. Try getting another company bank account after that, or getting past many clients vetting processes.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                  To be fair to agencies, they don't care - if they can sell you in somewhere else, they will, especially if they know ClientCo1 has a track record for binning people off while citing poor performance.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                  X