• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beware of Tent & Bear and Premiere Digital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of Tent & Bear and Premiere Digital

I was employed last minute by Premiere Digital through a company called Tent & Bear that have offices in Dubai and London. In order to fulfil the contract, I had to fly to Casablanca with one day's notice and spend a week there. I was promised by the recruiter at Premiere that they would book the flight and hotel and I would be given $125/day to cover expenses. I agreed to take on the contract.

About 12 hours before I was due to leave, the recruiter from Premiere informed me that their accounting team refused to book the flight or hotel and I would have to do it myself. I was reticent to go out of pocket for so much but he assured me it would be reimbursed. Then I found out that the $125/day was not a per diem but was meant to cover the flight and accommodation leaving me little left over as I was booking very last minute.

When I returned from Casablanca I spent the next two weeks fighting with Premiere Digital to get paid for my time. Apparently Tent & Bear didn't want to sign off on the timesheet.

It is now 7 weeks later and I still have not been reimbursed for my expenses which totalled almost £1200. Every week Premiere Digital tells me that THIS Friday I will definitely get paid. Of course, it doesn't happen. My calls are never returned. Occasionally the original recruiter from Premiere gets on the line and tells me some new story as to why I haven't been reimbursed. My emails are never answered.

If you are considering taking a role with Premiere Digital you should be aware of the way they treat contractors. If you ever hear Tent & Bear mentioned, run away.

Sorry to hear that.

But an important lesson learn't I feel. I would have asked them to reschedule until such a time when they could have paid for the flight and hotel.

Granted, not a helpful response but I think you simply have to take it on the chin and move on!

WLB

Comment

Then I found out that the $125/day was not a per diem but was meant to cover the flight and accommodation leaving me little left over as I was booking very last minute.
      How do you get a flight to Casablanca, 5 nights stay and change out of $125??
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It is a sordid tale.

OP, are you just asking nicely for the money or have you escalated? Do a forum search for 'dunning' and/or contact Safe Collections.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Exactly. Getting transit permits out of Casablanca is noted to be a right pita.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
            Exactly. Getting transit permits out of Casablanca is noted to be a right pita.
            You need own a Renault for those.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

12 hours before after they said it'd all be paid for? hmmmm.

I think I'd have declined. Its obvious that "someone" in the chain had an issue with paying.

Sounds like agency had reservations about paying for flights because they obviously were not convinced they'd get the money back from client. So they pass it on to you to take the risk and, as has happened, no-one wants to pay for the flights now.

Sorry I'd have told them to sort this out with their client and then let me know when it was sorted.....

I think you left yourself open a bit to this I'm afraid.

Assume you did have a contract in place for all of this? And it wasn't just a verbal promise such as, honestly, we'll pay you back for the flights and accommodation mate?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If a company wants you there in 24 hours, and they are willing to pay for flight and accommodation, then they do so, otherwise I would assume they were lying quite frankly.

Comment

Working...
                X