• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private GP - anyone use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    Have a look at Benenden, 24 hour access to a GP over the phone, £10 per month + other benefits too, they can escalate things and they use BUPA for some stuff.

https://www.benenden.co.uk/

Im not connected to these in anyway.

GE
    Thats not bad £10 a month. Can they do referrals though? Its not that clear.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I have often had to use a private GP. Indeed private consultants too.

Private GP is easiest to do in London, but easy to do on a Saturday when not working etc. So usually just build it into my travel plans if need be.

"one off" price is pretty reasonable, at least then you can get a good idea of diagnosis and type of consultant you need, and you will get an honest assessment and not a rationing decision.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        All I want is a referral letter to get a private health consultation at Spire
        Obv I can't speak for your GP, but at my GP this would be arranged by a call to reception and the GP churns one out ASAP. i.e. no appt needed. Are you sure you need an appt?

Comment

Get the Babylon Health app and have a consultation from your phone at a time of your choosing. I think that's the closest thing to private GP I know of.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Obv I can't speak for your GP, but at my GP this would be arranged by a call to reception and the GP churns one out ASAP. i.e. no appt needed. Are you sure you need an appt?
            Friggin useless my GP surgery is. Its like the 1950s. Tried that and tried to get phone appt. No go.

Complete waste of everyones time. But as with a lot of GPs surgerys they dont give a monkeys. Next available appointment jan 4th. Great!

And they wonder why people rock up at A&E.....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Friggin useless my GP surgery is. Its like the 1950s. Tried that and tried to get phone appt. No go.

Complete waste of everyones time. But as with a lot of GPs surgerys they dont give a monkeys. Next available appointment jan 4th. Great!

And they wonder why people rock up at A&E.....
              Amen bro, spot on.

Comment

Can you just say you need an urgent appointment? Every GP I ever had makes same-day appointments if you call up early enough.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We live in an area with one of the top 10 GP surgeries in the UK, their service is top notch. Can always get to speak to the doc every day. They have a call service; you phone in morning and GP will always call you back (at an agreed time) to do a phone appointment. If not urgent, he may prescribe over the phone. If urgent, he will have some free slots later that day. They run 2 evenings a week too for workers, going to 9 o'clock.

110% better than the surgery we had in the area we used to live. Like chalk and cheese. Does beg the question why most surgeries can't offer a decent service.

My HID has a life limiting disability and illness and our GP even gives her a call (unprompted) to see how she is getting on and to see if she needs anything.

Such a shame all NHS surgeries can't offer a good service - if some can, they should all be able to offer a similar service!
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Can you just say you need an urgent appointment? Every GP I ever had makes same-day appointments if you call up early enough.
                    He may have to go there in person 30-45 minutes before appointments are released and line up to get one.

Had to do this at my old GP practice.

Current GP practice in the same area I just phone up and get a same day appointment.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm lucky in that my GP is directly opposite my house. So I go there at 8:30am on the dot and book it face to face while the phones ring non-stop in the background.

Can recommend going in person if possible, then I can rock up to my gig at 9am usually if I'm working locally, otherwise just work later. Most places are pretty flexible around doctors appointments if not in general.

They usually let you book for 2 days later, so rock up tues morning for appointment on thursday. Sometimes have really good early slots as well, been seen at 7:30am before.

They recently allowed online booking but there is a 3-4 week lead time which is stupid.

You have to type your symptoms in as well, and also tell them to the receptionist when booking in person.

Guy in front of me was forced to reveal his girlfriend missed her period and she had tested positive on several pregnancy tests and he was there to schedule whatever the first appointment is when you're pregnant, while several cronies strained their neck to nosy in on everything. It was a bit cringe watching this poor guy put on the spot when he really didn't want to tell the world about it, having to blurt all this out. Poor bugger.

Comment

Working...
                      X