• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start contracting now or later?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    Knowing what you know now, you would switch from a perm job to contracting today?
    I would.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Knowing what you know now, you would switch from a perm job to contracting today?
      I wouldn’t not switch because of IR35 reform in the private sector.

IMO there are many more important factors to consider with regard to switching. Mostly related to personal circumstances and desires.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
        I wouldn’t not switch because of IR35 reform in the private sector.

IMO there are many more important factors to consider with regard to switching. Mostly related to personal circumstances and desires.
        That's fair enough. Personally, I think there are too many unknowns with 2020 pending; what will rates look like, will it affect the market, etc.

Comment

That's fair enough. Personally, I think there are too many unknowns with 2020 pending; what will rates look like, will it affect the market, etc.
          He who dares Rodders.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
            “We”? Who?

Certainly I’m not and all of the comfortably outside IR35 contractors I know are not planning an exit.

I guess bum on seat contractors just doing a job description are planning an exit as they can no longer falsely declare themselves inside? Good luck with that.
            Exactly.. even inside IR35 my take-home would be higher than the average salary I'd get in my area.

No plans to pack up for the foreseeable, though as other have said money isn't the only reason to start contracting...
            Last edited by Snarf; 17 January 2019, 07:47.

Comment

April 2019 is likely to have greater risks and more unknowns that a legislative change not yet made.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                April 2019 is likely to have greater risks and more unknowns that a legislative change not yet made.
                As has been the case nearly every year in the last 5 or 6 at least really.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  As has been the case nearly every year in the last 5 or 6 at least really.
                  I didn't mean the new tax year. I was referring to Brexit (am I gonna get banned now?). A drop of 15% in sterling and the loss of investment, and the follow on job losses may make contracting more challenging. It's why I signed up for a 6 monther recently.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    It's why I signed up for a 6 monther recently.
                    But you know what that's worth though don't you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      But you know what that's worth though don't you.
                      I've NEVER been removed from contract early.
                      I reckon it's worth 6 months, plus a possibility of future business.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X