• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Part Time Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part Time Contracting

I've been contracting for 3 years now.

Everything is fine, many happy clients, and more and more opportunities every year.

But for personal reasons I cannot do it 5 days of the week anymore.

Ideally I need 2-3 days a week contract. Happy to commute to London on those days.

But it seems to be very hard thing to find.

Has anyone have experience with Part Time Contracting?
    Any advice on how to find them.

Originally posted by MrBlack View Post
    I've been contracting for 3 years now.

Everything is fine, many happy clients, and more and more opportunities every year.

But for personal reasons I cannot do it 5 days of the week anymore.

Ideally I need 2-3 days a week contract. Happy to commute to London on those days.

But it seems to be very hard thing to find.

Has anyone have experience with Part Time Contracting?
    Any advice on how to find them.
    A very rare thing on the job boards. I've only seen a couple of adverts wanting part time in the many years of camping on the boards so that option is pretty much dead.

Most part time gigs are secured through previous contacts where you are well known. Much easier to negotiate something as you've already got a track record of delivering. That said you are still in the lap of the gods finding someone that has a requirement where part time will do.

IMO it's not really a sustainable model straight of the bat. It's something you fall in to or negotiate over time. I know a couple of people on here do part time gigs for multiple clients but I'm sure they'll also mention the ended up like this through working for clients rather than finding them on job boards.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agencies want 5 days a week contract - preferably those that run for years.
      Clients ask agents for a part time / short term resource. Agents say "nah, we never get people willing to do that".

Clients either
      1. Get a consultant in from a consultancy company
      2. Do it themselves
      3. Find additional stuff that will take it up to 5 days, long term.

The only away around this is direct contacts and recommendations. It's still worth registering with a few agencies. I got one part time contract that way, because - although the role was full time - they couldn't find anyone to fulfil it. So I did it 3 days per week. Still got it done in about a half the allotted time.

I've had up to four concurrent clients - one through someone asking on this forum, one through being active on the PCG forums!, the rest through referrals/recommendations from people I already worked with. I currently have two, both 50%.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I work for two different clients at the moment.

Been working on one project for a long time. And they wanted more doing so I told them I only had 2 days available.
        Another contacted me on linkedin and I told them I only had 3 days available.

If you are in a position to negotiate then you ask for x days.

Comment

I'm working on a 3 day a week contract at the moment, it was more the client choice due to budget.

But kind of works OK - I'd been on the bench for a bit so took it. Suppose it depends on your circumstances and what you want income vs free time. But suits me fine - but if more days were offered I'd certainly not turn it down.

Worked on another contract around a year ago - was 3 days but then turned to 5 days. For this one, I've been seeing if I can get another contract 2 days etc, but as other posters have said this is pretty hard, and I've had no luck so will not hold my breath.

Comment

Best bet is to get on the phone and go direct, Agencies deal with the bulk which is bums on seats permitractors.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
            X