• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

howto become agency/consultant company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howto become agency/consultant company

Hi Friends,

I am an IT contractor working through my limited company. My contracts are generally around London. I often work with banks.

I want to go one step further than self-employed contracting. I would like to hire a colleague and get slightly bigger projects. After years, I am hoping to convert my limited company to a consultancy company with employees.

My question is how can I do it? What is the next step?
    Hiring employees without securing a contract doesn't seem reasonable.

What type of companies/people should I get in touch and talk about this?
    I would like to offer shares to people I am working/partnering with.

What effort that I can spend now, so I can take advantage later?
    Ex. Is getting ISO27001 or GDPR certifications for my company good idea?

Originally posted by phoenix32 View Post
    this is going to be the crux of the issue isnt it.
    you can always subcontract work once you have found it.

but you have to find it first.

this isn't a new idea, it comes up on the forums on a regular basis.

Comment

It’s been asked quite a few times if you look through the history. There are many ways to do it and most of the time it fails.

Getting ISO27001 or GDPR certs should be the least of your concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
        this is going to be the crux of the issue isnt it.
        you can always subcontract work once you have found it.

but you have to find it first.

this isn't a new idea, it comes up on the forums on a regular basis.
        Sending someone instead of me to same work is not possible most of the time, even I have right to do this, it is not possible in practice. They have contacted with me, they accepted my services. Even they accept, I am sure there will be problems in screening processes.

Can you share some links my friend? or advise keywords to find old posts.
        I tried consultant,company,agency etc.
        Last edited by phoenix32; 1 April 2019, 11:31. Reason: corrections on wording

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
          It’s been asked quite a few times if you look through the history. There are many ways to do it and most of the time it fails.

Getting ISO27001 or GDPR certs should be the least of your concern.
          Thanks.

Can you share some links my friend? or advise keywords to find old posts.
          I tried consultant,company,agency etc.

Comment

The fact you don't know the answers to your questions means you've no chance of making it work.

Every contractor on earth has though about how to get more staff in and next to none of them have achieved it. The ones that did didn't need to ask basic questions on an internet forum.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi Friends,

I am an IT contractor working through my limited company. My contracts are generally around London. I often work with banks.

I want to go one step further than self-employed contracting. I would like to hire a colleague and get slightly bigger projects. After years, I am hoping to convert my limited company to a consultancy company with employees.

What type of companies/people should I get in touch and talk about this?
              I would like to offer shares to people I am working/partnering with.

What effort that I can spend now, so I can take advantage later?
              Ex. Is getting ISO27001 or GDPR certifications for my company good idea?
              If anyone on ere had the answer to all these questions, what makes you think they would share them on a public forum, creating competitors for themselves?

Comment

my old programme manager has done this and looking at how he managed to switch....its more about who you know...in the beginning at the very least.

He went into partnership with one of other programme managers where we were all working. Using their combined network they were able to get a couple of contracts where the client had worked with either of them previously and knew they could deliver. Not only that, they had a good enough relationship that they trusted that whoever they brought in to do the work would be competent as well.

I hope to one day do the same. I have a very good network in terms of peers (fellow PMs, engineers, BA and BC etc) but its all about building up the 'permie' network for me at the moment.

Comment

I can't just send someone instead of me to same work. Even I have right to do this, this is not possible in practice. They interviewed with me, they offered to me. Even they accept, I am sure there will be problems in screening processes.
                  As a consultancy you are not attending interviews for a position.
                  you are meeting clients to sell consultancy services.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    If anyone on ere had the answer to all these questions, what makes you think they would share them on a public forum, creating competitors for themselves?
                    Thanks Eirikur,

why not? what if I can add value to helping party's business as well.
                    what if they have a business willing to sell?

Comment

Working...
                    X