• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies asking for previous contracting rates. What is your view?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies asking for previous contracting rates. What is your view?

Hello,

I would occasionally get contacted by an agency (this time it was Parallel Consulting) who is adamant that I disclose my past rates. I find it quite sneaky. I think the only reason they want to know this so that they can negotiate a rate down. They is either the client or an agency who is operating on a margin.
    What are your views on this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by siphr; 2 April 2019, 13:27.

Originally posted by siphr View Post
    Hello,

I would occasionally get contacted by an agency who is adamant that I disclose my past rates. I find it quite sneaky. I think the only reason they want to know this so that they can negotiate a rate down. They is either the client or an agency who is operating on a margin.
    What are your views on this?

Thanks.
    I always tell them that it is between myself and my client. After all, it is a business to business contract, and is nobodies business but those involved. Usually shuts them up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

I always tell them a rate in the ballpark I want now. They are not going to be able to verify the rate I was on in a previous contract.

A reason they may want that info is so when they go fishing to previous clients on your CV they have an idea of what the client is willing to pay.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        I always tell them a rate in the ballpark I want now. They are not going to be able to verify the rate I was on in a previous contract.

A reason they may want that info is so when they go fishing to previous clients on your CV they have an idea of what the client is willing to pay.
        I am aware that one could choose to do this, but why should you have to lie because of someone else's lack of etiquette.

Comment

Originally posted by siphr View Post
          I am aware that one could choose to do this, but why should you have to lie because of someone else's lack of etiquette.
          Welcome to the sordid and seedy world of contracting.

Comment

Been asked and discussed many times already. Try a search to see if a topic has been discussed before. Might save you some time and us to go over it all again.

HTH
            agency aski g rate site:forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Been asked and discussed many times already. Try a search to see if a topic has been discussed before. Might save you some time and us to go over it all again.

HTH
              agency aski g rate site:forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search
              You are absolutely right northernladuk. Should've checked.

Comment

Ask them if they also ask their plumber what they charged their previous customers

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Ask them if they also ask their plumber what they charged their previous customers
                  Exactly my perspective! I operate a business, agency operates a business and the client operates a business. The lady on the phone had a really bad attitude after that, kept saying its our requirement, then said it is how i operate, then changed it to the client has asked for it. To all of this I simply had said earlier on that if you think you cannot proceed without that information then that is reasonable and I'd accept that so let us not proceed. But she just wouldn't put the phone down saying I do not understand why...
                  Good riddance, I say!

Comment

Sometimes I say that while I can't give rates out for specific contracts the most ever taken on work for is £x and the least I've ever taken on work for is £y, the exact rate depends on the details of the work.
                    (I say this because the range happens to be pretty big and covers the full range of rates I'd consider working for)

You'd probably expect that I'd get a load of 'offers' at the bottom end of the range, but that doesn't seem to happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X