• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I consider a contracting job? Currently I earn £82K as permanent in Scotland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but maybe he wants to move to London, and this isn't being driven by wanting to change jobs, it's just that he has to change jobs if he moves. Read the original post, that's how it sounds.

Comment

Should I consider a contracting job? Currently I earn £82K as permanent in Scotland

Originally posted by BroglieBoy View Post
      £2K for child care ... wow that's a lot compared to Scotland where it is around £900 to £1000
      No it’s £2K extra (not in total) - approx £1650per child - for a good place - and no free 15/30 hours on your new salary - you are above the threshold

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 29 April 2019, 22:45.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        £82k in Scotland, and no travel.

£90k in London, 5 days a week travel away from your family.

There's only one choice really.

BTW £90k in London on a mortgage multiple might just about get you a 2 bed flat if you're lucky. In an ex-council block.
        If very lucky, could stay outside London and pay £8K season ticket to be fair

Or £2K rent a month for 2bed place in someone decent

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          Yes, but maybe he wants to move to London, and this isn't being driven by wanting to change jobs, it's just that he has to change jobs if he moves. Read the original post, that's how it sounds.
          Yes, That is correct. The need is not for changing the job( as I am more than happy in my current job ) the need is to move towards London and my aim is to move without taking a big hit on my current salary.

It is not easy to find a permanent job anywhere paying close to £100K. From my own research, it seems like any job above £75 is very difficult to come by in IT industry.

I would not have considered contracting if the new job I am looking at does not have any travel. Since there is a lot of travel i am trying to evaluate if i should consider contracting. But based on the responses I have seen so far I am not convinced contracting is the right option :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            If very lucky, could stay outside London and pay £8K season ticket to be fair

Or £2K rent a month for 2bed place in someone decent

How about places like Milton Keynes? Is this a reasonable place to stay for an easy commute to London and surrounding areas? or is Reading a better option? We were looking at Reading due to access to grammar school.

Comment

How about places like Milton Keynes? Is this a reasonable place to stay for an easy commute to London and surrounding areas? or is Reading a better option? We were looking at Reading due to access to grammar school.
              I've lived in Ascot and traveled into London on the Reading train. You're looking at a commute into Waterloo of around an hour then an additional tube from there on. Also the operating company in that part of the world is terrible!! Bear in mind that when I started contracting I thought it would all be London, first 3 contracts were in Slough. Lots of work there and Reading & Bracknell too. Yes the rates aren't as high, but compared with driving to work rather than or what is a horrible train line and an expensive one too, I'd rather drive.

We've now moved to the Chalfonts, it's on the edge of the tube line but you'll pay a lot of money to live close to one of the stations so you don't have to drive and pay out for parking. Childcare costs for us is about £1500 a month.

Comment

Contracted out of Hertfordshire (Near Potters Bar)) for a number of years. 30 mins into Liverpool St. on top of the M25 for Reading/Bracknell. Even possible to commute to Birmingham if you start early enough. House prices historically cheaper than other dormitory towns

Comment

I have the reverse dilemma.

I have just (literally - as of last Friday) moved to Buckinghamshire (between Bicester and Milton Keynes) from the South Coast and grammar schools were a driving factor.

Milton Keynes annual ST is about £6.5k per year with tube travel, Bletchley (near by) is £5.5k per year with tube travel, and similarly served for commuter trains.

However, adding in the cost of car park takes my commuting cost to >£500 per month plus the petrol, so consideration of any permanent IT roles in the City is now very difficult, as at least an eighth (or more likely a sixth) of my take home will be devoted to commuting costs. Currently contracting in the City, and I think the only way I would go back permanent is for the right role in and around MK, however fortunately there seems to be quite a few business with decent IT operations there (Santander, VW Financial Services etc.).
                  Last edited by fiisch; 30 April 2019, 14:50.

Comment

What no waiting list / catchment area / cost concerns with the grammar school ?

I moved to London (from Glasgow) years ago, I live near Canary Wharf on a very good contract rate

I would bite your hand off for £82K permie job in jockland

Do you have £600K for a small flat here ?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      No it’s £2K extra (not in total) - approx £1650per child - for a good place - and no free 15/30 hours on your new salary - you are above the threshold
                      Not quite true, al kids are eligible for the 15/30 hours of free childcare. Its child benefit you are not eligible for if either you or your partner earn over £50k

Comment

Working...
                      X