• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Client has cut rate'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Client has cut rate'

So, applies for role, yep good match, local, so not bad. Rate ok, but then gets a call from agent, client interested but has dropped rate for this role x-£50/day.
    I'm thinking agent talking 5hite & wanting to keep an extra £50 for himself. So, how to handle this given state of current market (of which agent obv fully aware)? Refuse opportunity, tell agent to stuff it, & keep looking? Or suck it up & invoice? Thoughts please.
    Clarity is everything

So you've applied but not interviewed yet? Not uncommon for an agent to up the advert rate to more than will be paid to get more interest. There is a chance the client would never have paid it and the agent isn't actually pocketing a yhring. If you've applied and been offered a gig but the rate has suddenly dropped its a different situation. If it's got this far they should have known so in the case the agent is possibly lining his pocket.

What's your position? Are you desperate for the gig, can you walk away? How far are you willing to push back?

Is the new rate still a good rate you are happy with or does it make it a poor rate for your skills?

Answer to all the above should start to give a pretty clear idea of your situation and next move.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 July 2019, 12:28.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the market is good you turn it down, if it's bad then think about a counter offer eg a cut of 25.

Worth a phone call, to try and gauge their determination to push this.

Start the conversation saying you're not happy with this and you won't agree, see what the reaction is and if they sound determined try 25.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 July 2019, 12:31.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yep, good points all, thanks...not interviewed yet but just instantly thinking agent lining pockets (cynical moi, etc.)...but take the point of advertising higher just to get ppl to apply.
        Yep, could do with the work tbh as market is dire (still), but the -£50 does make it a lower rate than I'm used to; it's doable but only just. I can walk away, but as there's a dearth of work at the moment, thought I'd sound counsel out on here before jumping in, or outright rejecting.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Yep, could do with the work tbh as market is dire (still), but the -£50 does make it a lower rate than I'm used to; it's doable but only just. I can walk away, but as there's a dearth of work at the moment, thought I'd sound counsel out on here before jumping in, or outright rejecting.
          I'd be tempted to progress with this opportunity but also look for others in the meantime. If you get an offer, and you don't have another offer, then you can make a decision then. Remember, its not just them interviewing you.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
            Yep, good points all, thanks...not interviewed yet but just instantly thinking agent lining pockets (cynical moi, etc.)...but take the point of advertising higher just to get ppl to apply.
            If you've not been interviewed yet, chances are that if you say no to the rate cut, that interview is never going to happen.

Everyone has in their mind a minimum rate they'd accept, so just ask yourself what yours is.

My opinion, take the cut but try to squeeze in some non monetary perks like wfh 1-2 days a week for example.

Comment

If this is before the interview it isn't a negotiation, that is what they're offering. You would have to play hard ball for several days possibly weeks before they'd raise it.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

"Client has cut rate, that's a shame. Still, I'm sure you'll work something out. Not sure why it's my problem per se, I don't have a deal with the client, you do..."

Comment

The fly in the oinment here is, you can (eventually) tell the agent you're no longer interested but, who's to say the next advertised role will not end up the same ie advertised at a rate to wind you in then agent says client has dropped the rate?

Never ceases to amaze me agencies always managed to report increased profits when the market was against the contractor, fewer advertised roles and lower rates etc. Of course, we all know who took the hit during those times.

Situations like this come down to how much you need the role. If you 'need' it, you havent got much wriggle room. Id never recommend going back and asking for just 50% of the reduction because if the agent is trying to line their pocket, the 50% cut is probably what he was hoping for. In these circumstances, if it was me, Id aim for just a £10 'cut' so you get £40.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I would stall and say you will discuss the rate once you've met the client and understood more about the project and their expectations. Depending on how things go when you meet them, it may be possible to directly enquire with the client as to their rate expectations even if you can't discuss actual numbers. If the client are keen, there may be wiggle room.

If you can't afford to live on the rate being offered then you need to consider whether earning something is better than nothing and seek to jump ship as soon as possible. In that scenario, make sure your contract has favourable exit clauses.

Comment

Working...
                    X