• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange client restrictions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One company had coffee bars and restaurants but they didn’t take cash or cards, the money was deducted from your salary, thus contractors cannot purchase tea, buns and lunch.

Comment

Investors in Industry. 1991. Free breakfast and lunch. One tightwad I worked with ate several lunches then beans on toast in the evening!

To be fair, he was permie.....

Comment

Personally I don't mind (in fact welcome) anything that sets me aside from the permies, even the small stuff

e.g. Here we can't use the onsite canteen as it's subsidized

Not only can I add it to my file of 'not an employee' (not major evidence obviously), but it also shows the permies that I don't work here.

Comment

Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
          Personally I don't mind (in fact welcome) anything that sets me aside from the permies, even the small stuff

e.g. Here we can't use the onsite canteen as it's subsidized

Not only can I add it to my file of 'not an employee' (not major evidence obviously), but it also shows the permies that I don't work here.

Yet from next April the client will still likely deem you inside IR35 and lump the canteen exclusion in with all the other employee benefits they aren't giving you.

HMRC only interested in employee related taxes not employee related rights.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            HMRC only interested in employee related taxes not employee related rights.
            Oh I know, but I still think these little differences don't do any harm

And I won't be here come April

Comment

One site I worked at wouldn't let contractors use their car park. Didn't know this until the day I arrived and got bollocked by the receptionist for parking there.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                I've worked at quite a lot of clientcos with allocated contractor areas - these were typically the offices with no windows where their permies refused to work, filled with broken office furniture, like that bloke in Office Space who was fired but kept coming to work.

It was a way to vent their frustration at how much money we were getting paid.
                I've never seen this in 15 years of contracting. What part of the country did this take place in, if you don't mind my asking?

The only difference I experienced at 2 clients (1 mobile phone co, one academic publisher) was perms could work at home on Friday and contractors couldn't. Seemed a bit mean.

Compare and contrast with latest role where perm staff allocated to the programme I was working on were expected to come into office on Friday by their line managers, 'to keep in touch with the team'. Whilst the programme policy was that Fridays were a wfh day, so the contractors all worked from home.

Comment

I once did a 2 week stint witnessing a subsea umbilical being tested for a client at a manufacturing facility at the Walker quayside in Newcastle.

I turned up on day one with my sandwiches and ate them in the canteen with the rest of the guys. That afternoon I refused to sign off the first test due to some inconsistencies in the test results. On day 2, there was a handwritten note on the canteen door saying something to the effect of "staff only". I ate my sandwiches outside.

On day three, with the sun splitting the sky I looked up to try and figure out why it was "raining", only to realise the crane driver in one of the giant cranes was in fact urinating on me.

Comment

Originally posted by sludgesurfer View Post
                    I once did a 2 week stint witnessing a subsea umbilical being tested for a client at a manufacturing facility at the Walker quayside in Newcastle.

I turned up on day one with my sandwiches and ate them in the canteen with the rest of the guys. That afternoon I refused to sign off the first test due to some inconsistencies in the test results. On day 2, there was a handwritten note on the canteen door saying something to the effect of "staff only". I ate my sandwiches outside.

On day three, with the sun splitting the sky I looked up to try and figure out why it was "raining", only to realise the crane driver in one of the giant cranes was in fact urinating on me.
                    Oh good God

Comment

I think that, right there, has to be the worst contractor experience ever had, heard and related.

Sludge, can I ask what happened on days three and onwards?

Comment

Working...
                      X