• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disregarded Income for Non-Tax Residents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stand corrected. Things have moved on.

Originally posted by skysies View Post
    Again, I'm interested in knowing what the tax on the DIVIDENDS will be. It seems the dividends are treated in a different way. The income tax on the salary should be paid in the UK. I get that.
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If you earn income, as a non-UK tax resident, on dividends from a UK company, they'll be subject to the tax regime of your home country
    Notwithstanding BB's comment.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
      Again, I'm interested in knowing what the tax on the DIVIDENDS will be. It seems the dividends are treated in a different way. The income tax on the salary should be paid in the UK. I get that.
      What does your accountant say? As this area is complex you really do need to find one with expertise in offshore directors - see my previous post as it's complex and easy to get wrong.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I don't see HMRC allowing foreigners to come to the UK work for 3 to 6 months and pay no tax because it is distributed as dividends. They expect earnings to be taxed. HMRC would have to clamp down because the implications in lost tax would be considerable.

I would strongly advise against it.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 December 2019, 10:14.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          I don't see HMRC allowing foreigners to come to the UK work for 3 to 6 months and pay no tax because it is distributed as dividends. They expect earnings to be taxed. HMRC would have to clamp down because the implications in lost tax would be considerable.

I would strongly advise against it.
          It's like any tax avoidance loophole - there are risks. And it definitely is a loophole, but not one, I think, that's widely exploited.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            It's like any tax avoidance loophole - there are risks. And it definitely is a loophole, but not one, I think, that's widely exploited.
            How do you know it is definitely a loop hole ?

I think only an accountant would be qualified to advise on that. There could well be restrictions on working yourself for the company from which you are earning tax free dividends. I would not assume it is a loophole unless I had an accountant doing my accounts and being upfront with HMRC about it. There's no point in hiding this from the HMRC because sooner or later they'll enquire.

There are a large number of foreigners who work seasonally or carry out short projects in the UK, if this was a loophole I would expect it to be exploited on a large scale.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 December 2019, 11:54.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              How do you know it is definitely a loop hole ?
              Experience and talking to accountants over the years. HMRC might choose to see the dividends as income. If uncontested, the OP would accrue a debt to HMRC, that might even be enforceable in his country of residence.

The OP should, as you say, get professional advice to determine the level of risk.

Comment

Working...
              X