• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time limit for submitting invoice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
    I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain the OP is simply questioning the legality of it. I don't think it's necessarily impacting them, they're just asking the question out of curiosity?

It seems there's a very strict set of criteria on this discussion board that posts must comply with or they receive heat from the same members every time. Chill out.
    It doesn't really matter if it's legally enforceable or not. They can put what they want in a contract. If he doesn't want to agree and sign it he doesn't have to.
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Is this an IR35 thing where they've told you to submit before a certain date so that it pays before 6th April? In this one situation, I'd heed their advice. In fact I'd generally heed that advice anyway, who lets invoices go cold? They take long enough to pay in some situations as it is without you adding extra days.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by morsing View Post
        Surely you know that's not how agencies work.
        Loads of agencies offer a self billing arrangement, some even insist on it. Probably because there are contractors out there who don't know how to form an invoice and / or cant organise themselves to submit an invoice but will complain about not being paid.

You can throw away the invoice they produce if it's not as pretty as the one you create. I always find the numbering they have is at odds with the auto numbering in my accounts system so it actually doesn't save me much time on the bookkeeping side but less effort in agency engagement.

It's perfectly legit.
        VAT: self-billing arrangements - GOV.UK

In answer to your original question, if it's in the contract then it could enforceable unless you could prove that raising invoices in a timely manner was detrimental to your business and causing material loss. IANAL

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
          It doesn't really matter if it's legally enforceable or not. They can put what they want in a contract. If he doesn't want to agree and sign it he doesn't have to.
          Missed my point entirely. The OP's merely asking the question. It might not matter, not at all, he's just asking why it would be put in a contract. If it's not an interesting topic to you and it doesn't really matter you don't have to post?
          Last edited by DevUK; 4 February 2020, 10:09.

Comment

Missed my point entirely. The OP's merely asking the question. It might not matter, not at all, he's just asking why it would be put in a contract. If it's not an interesting topic to you and it doesn't really matter you don't have to post?
            Why don't you answer the question then, instead of just having an attitude about other people's answers?
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
              Why don't you answer the question then, instead of just having an attitude about other people's answers?
              haha relax. I don't know the answer. Fully entitled to address other people's answers. If you don't like my 'attitude' or don't think this thread matters you don't need to stick around it, tonnes of other threads you might find fit the set of criteria.

Comment

Don't sign contracts like this then. I wouldn't personally, I've been delayed invoicing when waiting for credit card bills to arrive with rebillable foreign currency expenses. Get it updated to remove it, cross it out or just refuse to agree to those terms.

Comment

Hi,

I have now had a second agency in a row that says invoices won't be paid if submitted after a certain date. I really can't see that being legal, is it? What would a court say?

Thanks
                  I once worked with a contractor at Yorkshire Electricity. He had a drawer full of signed timesheets. He said he only submitted them 6 monthly at each renewal (6 month contracts was the norm back then).

I never understood this, maybe his wife \ partner earnt a huge wedge so he could act like he wasnt arsed. Hope he got paid all the same.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Hi,

I have now had a second agency in a row that says invoices won't be paid if submitted after a certain date. I really can't see that being legal, is it? What would a court say?

Thanks
                    It's perfectly legal.
                    They can write that the moon is made of cheese in a contract if they like. It's up to you whether you sign or not.

Being legal doesn't mean it's enforceable though.
                    Not being enforceable doesn't mean that you wouldn't have right battle getting paid if you're stupid enough to breach a clause like that.

As for a court. If it ever got there, and you have no good reason for submitting an invoice late, I wouldn't rate your chances very highly. A judge does have leeway to make judgements based on the reasonableness of the involved parties. On that basis you need to be able to demontsrate that you've been reasonable.
                    Last edited by Lance; 4 February 2020, 12:50.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Missed my point entirely......
                      I think your point was don't post unless you have something helpful to offer. Is that correct?

If so, then why have you posted?
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X