• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH/Lockdown/Future of office work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Keeping it in Business/Contracts because I'm hoping for a sensible discussion on this (probably would have got a better response on a football forum but here goes anyway!)

Most of us that are still grafting are working from home.

Most of us have read that even when this soft lockdown is lifted, social distancing measures will still be in place. How is your company proposing to deal with it? We had a chat on Monday and it was painfully obvious that it's not possible in our office given its layout. We could probably handle 40% occupancy and manage social distancing, which makes returning to the same office environment pointless. I can see a lot of companies/teams within companies getting together once a week at a venue that allows social distancing while being able to engage in face to face chat and meetings but the sorts of venues that support this tend to be the hotels that offer conference facilities

General questions then:

- Have your company/your client considered this side of things yet?
    - Have the likes of WeWork and other office renters considered this yet and are looking to juggle office space about?
    - How reluctant would you be to put yourself at risk in such a public space?
    Seeing as I'm working on deploying Teams and have a raft of home working solutions in my scope of delivery, I'm suggesting to my client that they let a load of office space go. We've now proven they can still run a business.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Seeing as I'm working on deploying Teams and have a raft of home working solutions in my scope of delivery, I'm suggesting to my client that they let a load of office space go. We've now proven they can still run a business.
      In the short term.... With no consideration for individuals.....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There'll be many managers going into melt-down at the moment as they saw being visibily 'busy' as a form of promotion.

There'll be a few senior people wondering the feck these guys actually do for a living.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          There'll be many managers going into melt-down at the moment as they saw being visibily 'busy' as a form of promotion.

There'll be a few senior people wondering the feck these guys actually do for a living.
          ^^ This. So much this.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

And contractors....
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You're assuming those senior people aren't doing the same thing and this is limited to middle management.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                In the short term.... With no consideration for individuals.....
                There does need to be support for people who need to work from an office. Hopefully any project to reduce office space will take that into consideration.

Comment

Currently on the bench so I can't say but I predict most organisations will downsize office space and hot desk more, which is good for flexibility, the environment, productivity, etc. There are honestly no downsides, unless perhaps it is 100% remote. Last gig was mostly two days from home and the previous one three days from home. I've also had plenty zero days from home. For me, the sweet spot was the three days from home for a London client. Missus drops me off at the Yorkshire train station Monday night and I'm on the train back Wednesday evening. 48 hours. I got to meet up with my old friends and have a bit of excitement in the City before heading back home with the London money. On the golf course at 17:00 weather permitting throughout the summer. Product delivered and in the hands of clients customers. Oh please, send me a gig like that one again!!

Comment

It will be a long time before we have even 50%+ WFH arrangements.
                    Having been WFH now since the beginning of March, its painful. online meetings are the pits...but then, I enjoy the peace and quiet from the constant distractions in the office...although I am struggling with the many distractions on offer at home.
                    If remote working really was a viable solution, surely the next step is even more offshoring to cheap locations across the globe.

Comment

I last went into Client Co site on Easter Monday. Apart from some very senior manager, about the only people working there were management consultants, who have all been trained that visibility at client site is important. Fools.

As far as MyCo is concerned, I've converted 2 1/2 hours commute per day + 30 minutes for lunch into a walk on the beach, 15 minutes for lunch and 2 hours billable time.

ClientCo hasn't thought that far ahead.

Comment

Working...
                      X