• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH/Lockdown/Future of office work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Apologies if posted already, interesting to see one large corporate thinking about it

Barclays CEO says 'putting 7,000 people in a building may be thing of the past' - Reuters
    Is there going to be a boom on sale of mobile offices? Kind of like portaloo but with compartment for a chair and desk?

Comment

Mass exodus from London I suspect

I can walk to canary wharf in 10 mins, I only live here because I work in CW or the city, if I can work from home, will be on the 1st plane to someone sunny and cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Mass exodus from London I suspect

I can walk to canary wharf in 10 mins, I only live here because I work in CW or the city, if I can work from home, will be on the 1st plane to someone sunny and cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        The Tanning Room Swindon - Google Search

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
          Is there going to be a boom on sale of mobile offices? Kind of like portaloo but with compartment for a chair and desk?
          I'd expect that where high streets have been hit by closures, many could be reappropriated as satellite offices. There's no way managers would go for complete remote work and there's no way that a business could go completely remote. Too much documentation and paper work is still needed these days.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I'd expect that where high streets have been hit by closures, many could be reappropriated as satellite offices. There's no way managers would go for complete remote work and there's no way that a business could go completely remote. Too much documentation and paper work is still needed these days.
            And just because the work can be done at home doesn't mean it can be done in everyone's home. One of my colleagues lives in a flat share so I don't imagine sitting in his bedroom on a laptop is a good long term solution for him.
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Some risk departments are in full-scale panic mode these days.

I don't want to be specific about risks in a public forum, no need to give bad actors any ideas they haven't already had. There are things being done at home right now that will not be long term. Smaller satellite offices, maybe, but WFH won't be a universal thing in the banking world. Just not happening.

An office of 7000 might become an office of 1000 and 10 offices of 200 and 50 offices of 50, with 1500 people working from home. But you won't see all 7000, or even half of them, working from home.

Jes Staley was not talking about sending people home, he was talking about satellite offices. Before he starts sending people home to work permanently he's going to end up in some serious conversations with his Information Risk Management team, and they'll win that argument. In fact, it's pretty much a racing certainty that those conversations have already happened with CEOs in every major bank.

We may see a lot more WFH in other industries but I'll guess not so much in banking.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Some risk departments are in full-scale panic mode these days.

I don't want to be specific about risks in a public forum, no need to give bad actors any ideas they haven't already had. There are things being done at home right now that will not be long term. Smaller satellite offices, maybe, but WFH won't be a universal thing in the banking world. Just not happening.

An office of 7000 might become an office of 1000 and 10 offices of 200 and 50 offices of 50, with 1500 people working from home. But you won't see all 7000, or even half of them, working from home.

Jes Staley was not talking about sending people home, he was talking about satellite offices. Before he starts sending people home to work permanently he's going to end up in some serious conversations with his Information Risk Management team, and they'll win that argument. In fact, it's pretty much a racing certainty that those conversations have already happened with CEOs in every major bank.

We may see a lot more WFH in other industries but I'll guess not so much in banking.
                An extension of logic from this situation isn't much of a leap: Inside job forces car tyre factory to close after GBP500k theft - Liverpool Echo

In addition, as KinooOrKinog states, not everyone is geared up to WFH anyway. Too many dining tables being used as desks at the moment.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  An extension of logic from this situation isn't much of a leap: Inside job forces car tyre factory to close after GBP500k theft - Liverpool Echo

In addition, as KinooOrKinog states, not everyone is geared up to WFH anyway. Too many dining tables being used as desks at the moment.
                  Treatment of RSI will become a boom industry.

Comment

I think the likes of we work and the smaller independent co-working spaces could do well. I tend not to use we work or Regus if I can find an independent when I'm working from a non-home, non-client office location. They're great and are often located in parts of towns that are a bit more interesting making the lunchtime forage for food more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I think the likes of we work and the smaller independent co-working spaces could do well. I tend not to use we work or Regus if I can find an independent when I'm working from a non-home, non-client office location. They're great and are often located in parts of towns that are a bit more interesting making the lunchtime forage for food more fun.
                      I imagine the incumbents have some pretty brutal rent commitments.

Comment

Working...
                      X