• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    And I suspect many of us have planned 4 - 6 weeks between contracts and discovered it stretched to 12 weeks when opportunities plummeted. As you say, if you're out of contract because you can't find the next one, it's not a nice time.

Does the 650 pd vs 90 k factor in training?
    We're probably going round in circles. I think there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here.

Comment

in a "normal" market i'd take the 650. Hell I'd take 500.

in this market - 90k is tempting
      It's a huge cut but stability is key

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
        in a "normal" market i'd take the 650. Hell I'd take 500.

in this market - 90k is tempting
        It's a huge cut but stability is key
        "Perm" doesn't offer stability for the first two years.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          You cannot budget ideal world. You have to budget realistic. If your market is slowly getting worse (IR35, Brexit, changing skills requirements, etc. not including COVID19) you also have to consider how much could you realistically keep billing.

For example, a traditional PM may have to bite the bullet for a few years and cross-train up to become a qualified scrum master. If a company is going by the book with scrum or kanban rather than playing at agile, you'd find yourself out of your depth and out the door quite quickly as a contract PM trying to blag your way as a PM. If they're using "Agile-ish", you'd probably be OK.
          2 years ???

A traditional PM could just bang his head with a hammer to get same results as a scrum master

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
            "Perm" doesn't offer stability for the first two years.
            That is a legalistic view, but doesn't reflect the reality of the different risk profiles of contractor vs 1st 2 years as an employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              That is a legalistic view, but doesn't reflect the reality of the different risk profiles of contractor vs 1st 2 years as an employee.
              In IB finance perms are cut as often as contractors so no security

The perms I have worked with over the last 15 years rarely had any training so I dont buy that either

Yes time between contracts would be more nowadays for sure - But that is a holiday and it should feel like one

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post

The perms I have worked with over the last 15 years rarely had any training so I dont buy that either

Yes time between contracts would be more nowadays for sure - But that is a holiday and it should feel like one

Looking for work isn't a holiday.

Also, your experience seems extremely limited if it's just 15 years in IB.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I doubt that is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    2 years ???

A traditional PM could just bang his head with a hammer to get same results as a scrum master
                    Fine, but without a scrum master certificate, you probably will be well down the list of the 200 scrum masters and project managers applying for each gig.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't have as much experience as you but so far in my almost 10 years experience, mostly working in banking, I have never seen a permanent employee getting cut.

Again, not what I have experienced. When I was a permanent employee, the companies I've worked for overall spent something in the 3-4k region worth of training on me. In 1 particular occasion, the company asked if I wanted to do a course and take the related certification BEFORE I even started my role with them.

Maybe you just worked for bad companies/clients.

Comment

Working...
                      X