• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lost contract to very junior in-house hire. Now being asked to train them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    When does the new gig start? All I can see is that the current one ends at the end of June. Just use that time.

I've already started the new gig, full-time hours as of yesterday. So the issue is that I can't guarantee that I can find time to do the extensive handover they suddenly seem to be expecting, unless I give up my lunchbreaks several days in a row.

Training this person on the CMS would take half-a-day at least - and they have people in-house who could do this.

I'd be fine with the idea of a meeting to talk over the main insights from the job, but not to actively train this person in stuff that it's taken me years to learn.

And no, my contract only refers to monthly deliverables. No training, no handovers, no right to expect time from me - apart from if there's an issue with the deliverables that needs fixing.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far.

Just wanted to clarify... the old contract only refers to producing X deliverables each month. Traditionally I've worked this during evenings and weekends, around other contracts.

When they've asked to meet previously, I've always managed to work that around whatever I've been doing during the daytime. But with starting a new full-time contract this week, I can't just suddenly take a day off to train someone.

Comment

Originally posted by jojoe90 View Post
        I've already started the new gig, full-time hours as of yesterday. So the issue is that I can't guarantee that I can find time to do the extensive handover they suddenly seem to be expecting, unless I give up my lunchbreaks several days in a row.

Training this person on the CMS would take half-a-day at least - and they have people in-house who could do this.

I'd be fine with the idea of a meeting to talk over the main insights from the job, but not to actively train this person in stuff that it's taken me years to learn.

And no, my contract only refers to monthly deliverables. No training, no handovers, no right to expect time from me - apart from if there's an issue with the deliverables that needs fixing.
        Could you do a couples of (billable) hours in the evenings?

Comment

Sorry, not to threadsit... last point.

This isn't a dev role, where the handover of systems knowledge and documentation is baked into the contract.

It's a content and design role, where if the client had employed someone experienced and competent, that person could reasonably be expected to bring their own approach to the work.
          Last edited by jojoe90; 9 June 2020, 09:30.

Comment

Sorry, not to threadsit... last point.

This isn't a dev role, where the handover of systems knowledge and documentation is baked into the contract.

It's a content and design role, where if the client had employed someone experienced and competent, that person should be reasonably expected to bring their own approach to the work.
            It's your thread so keep it going as long as you like.

What you describe is where I think your business opportunity lies (if you want it).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              It's your thread so keep it going as long as you like.

What you describe is where I think your business opportunity lies (if you want it).

Ha! Thanks Old Greg.

But that's one business opportunity I'm not chasing. Haven't got the patience for training people, especially not if they're doing me out of my bread-and-butter work.

Comment

on the ethical side, I always try to leave things better than when I found them.
                is a psychological tool they will try to use to stitch you up. There are limits to the extent you can or should try to leave things better for them.

Comment

I think if the client had to, they'd drop you without thinking twice.

The fact is they want you do provide unpaid service. Unless you are running a charity, then best way is as other suggested, draw a new contract for handover.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post

The fact is they want you do provide unpaid service. Unless you are running a charity, then best way is as other suggested, draw a new contract for handover.
                    This.

The deliverables of the handover need defining (documentation piece instead of face to face if you can?), sizing, costing and agreeing.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post

The work wouldn't be unpaid. I think they expect that it would be at the same hourly rate that I've previously charged for meetings and admin, i.e. approximately 50% of the rate I'm getting at the full-time contract I've started.

Comment

Working...
                      X