• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lost contract to very junior in-house hire. Now being asked to train them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    This.

The deliverables of the handover need defining (documentation piece instead of face to face if you can?), sizing, costing and agreeing.
    Yes, would be great if this was a possibility. A lot of the role is based on creative judgement and strategic experience. And they're essentially asking me to teach this person three or four new fields.

To put it into development terms, if I = DevOps consultant with fifteen years' experience, this person = someone who once made a Wordpress website for their sister's business.

Comment

Originally posted by jojoe90 View Post
      Yes, would be great if this was a possibility. A lot of the role is based on creative judgement and strategic experience. And they're essentially asking me to teach this person three or four new fields.

To put it into development terms, if I = DevOps consultant with fifteen years' experience, this person = someone who once made a Wordpress website for their sister's business.
      Another option would to be honest with them then - they've recruited someone that you simply cannot impart your knowledge to beyond the basics.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The "my contract doesn't say handovers" angle is one you'll see contractor theory obsessives pushing on here - but not real people in real contracts. I would steer away from that line of thinking.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I've just emailed them to say that I'm available this Friday lunchtime for an hour, and if they need more of a handover from me then we can discuss it then.

I've found previously that this client tends to push things over email but then backs down in face-to-face discussions, so hopefully we'll be able to get this done and dusted then.

If they want to get in monkeys for peanuts, they should be implementing some serious staff training.* But they won't. Poor kid's probably on minimum wage and will be floundering. I feel quite sorry for them, but not sorry enough to spend more time than is absolutely necessary on this.

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and ideas. Was really useful!

*Just wanted to share a quick story from one of their previous hires. An intern who was promoted to developer, after someone who actually knew a bit about what they were doing was fired. The CEO and the ex-intern proudly showed me a prototype of "an app" they were working on. Turned out they thought "an app" was a website you could look at on your phone. It was monstrous. I asked how users were supposed to log out, "Oh, we don't want them to log out, because they won't be able to receive notifications. That's why the Log Out button is three levels down in the menu".

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            The "my contract doesn't say handovers" angle is one you'll see contractor theory obsessives pushing on here - but not real people in real contracts. I would steer away from that line of thinking.

Handover = fine

Training because they've employed someone who doesn't know what they're doing = not fine

Comment

Handover = fine

Training because they've employed someone who doesn't know what they're doing = not fine
              Training someone who is out of their depth is impossible. They've fecked up their recruitment - not your responsibility to rectify it.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've just emailed them to say that I'm available this Friday lunchtime for an hour, and if they need more of a handover from me then we can discuss it then.

I've found previously that this client tends to push things over email but then backs down in face-to-face discussions, so hopefully we'll be able to get this done and dusted then.

If they want to get in monkeys for peanuts, they should be implementing some serious staff training.* But they won't. Poor kid's probably on minimum wage and will be floundering. I feel quite sorry for them, but not sorry enough to spend more time than is absolutely necessary on this.

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and ideas. Was really useful!

*Just wanted to share a quick story from one of their previous hires. An intern who was promoted to developer, after someone who actually knew a bit about what they were doing was fired. The CEO and the ex-intern proudly showed me a prototype of "an app" they were working on. Turned out they thought "an app" was a website you could look at on your phone. It was monstrous. I asked how users were supposed to log out, "Oh, we don't want them to log out, because they won't be able to receive notifications. That's why the Log Out button is three levels down in the menu".
                I think you are investing too much thought and effort in it. Understandable after a long stint, but a few weeks away and both parties move on. Offer the odd hour over the phone IF you can fit it in and hope it goes away. Don't burn bridges if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  I think you are investing too much thought and effort in it. Understandable after a long stint, but a few weeks away and both parties move on. Offer the odd hour over the phone IF you can fit it in and hope it goes away. Don't burn bridges if possible.
                  This.

Just be frank with them - they've given you notice so you've found something else. You're happy to fulfil your commitments for this month but upskilling a peasant wasn't part of the original deal.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    This.

Just be frank with them - they've given you notice so you've found something else. You're happy to fulfil your commitments for this month but upskilling a peasant wasn't part of the original deal.
                    This... But maybe not using LMs wording
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      This... But maybe not using LMs wording
                      I read it first time round as upskirting a peasant.

Comment

Working...
                      X