• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiters and rate per hour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask for a bit more than you want and say "and of course I can do deals for the right people" - that gives you room to both come down to the rate you want and allows the agent to feel that they can go somewhere with it too. Then ask them what they're paying, and negotiate accordingly.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      When asked to give a rate, I give a range and state that my rate is determined by the role and its location.
      This.

My range is very broad - pretty much £ to £x2. Depends on location - near to home, UK or EU; type of clearance required and specific contract spec.

Current gig was through a framework so I even costed in the framework 'management fee' and added that on top.

Way too many variables to have a single fixed day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Ask for a bit more than you want and say "and of course I can do deals for the right people" - that gives you room to both come down to the rate you want and allows the agent to feel that they can go somewhere with it too. Then ask them what they're paying, and negotiate accordingly.
        The person who suggests an initial price is always at a negotiating disadvantage - which is why I avoid doing it unless absolutely necessary. Heck there are a lot of stories in software where the initial customer offer is twice to 5 times what the seller was expecting.

One of the things I'm finding in all the sales training I'm currently following (alongside you can't do sales so don't try) is that the best thing to do is qualify out quickly

1) does the person have a problem you can solve
        2) does the problem cause enough pain that the person wants it fixed quickly
        3) does the person have enough money to pay your rate for fixing the problem.

And if all people care about is money it's probably not worth taking the project on in the first place.
        Last edited by eek; 8 September 2020, 07:50.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
          My range is very broad - pretty much £ to £x2. Depends on location - near to home, UK or EU; type of clearance required and specific contract spec.
          Me too, but mine is £ to £/2.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            The person who suggests an initial price is always at a negotiating disadvantage - which is why I avoid doing it unless absolutely necessary. Heck there are a lot of stories in software where the initial customer offer is twice to 5 times what the seller was expecting.

One of the things I'm finding in all the sales training I'm currently following (alongside you can't do sales so don't try) is that the best thing to do is qualify out quickly

And if all people care about is money it's probably not worth taking the project on in the first place.
            That sounds like you've been on a John Niland course!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              That sounds like you've been on a John Niland course!
              Could equal well be Sandler or a few others - they are all much of a much ness at the end of the day.

The truth is that I now know I can't do the emoting that is required in sales so I need someone else to do that side of things

But given that I do CRM systems it's remarkable how much hope (outside of reality) is stored in most of them...
              Last edited by eek; 8 September 2020, 08:24.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's interesting that's what you learned in sales training as I learned the opposite in graduate level negotiation class.

There are some concepts called anchoring and zone of possible agreement (zopa) in negotiation that are relevant and typically favour the party that gives the first price that is acknowledged by the other party (known as an anchor). Negotiations typically will work away from this number towards the zopa until it reaches the edge of it, enabling the buyer to get the lowest possible price or the seller to get the highest possible price depending on who was able to establish their anchor and assuming a zopa exists and assuming that the buyers bargaining range is below the sellers (which is the most common stance in negotiations).

Sure in your case you just explained it may be the case that you wouldn't want to be the anchor because you are on the wrong side of the zopa but that is because you didn't know the market price of your services. You didn't do your research. Your bargaining range was actually below that of your clients which is a horrible situation to be in. It's usually the reverse.

Anyway I don't know how much of that is relevant since we are talking about negotiating with a 3rd party prior to the actual negotiation but still interesting to find out you were taught the complete opposite of what I was.

Comment

A lot depends on where you are in the process and how many people are still in competition as there is a significant difference between 1 in 200 possible candidates prior to the first stage and negotiating the final contract..

But even in enterprise sales there can be a vast difference between what 2 companies will pay for the same solution as for some it's just a nice to have that solves a minor annoyance yet for others that same software could resolve a $500,000 black hole.
                  Last edited by eek; 8 September 2020, 11:13.

Comment

I found the gig I've just started myself, and was then introduced by end client to their PSL agency to negotiate rate. I gave a quote and was told it was very high and was asked if it was more than my current rate. It's the "what's your current rate" approach that irks me. Anyway, I explained that I was prevented by an NDA for revealing my current rate, and after three weeks grumbling, the client agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      I found the gig I've just started myself, and was then introduced by end client to their PSL agency to negotiate rate. I gave a quote and was told it was very high and was asked if it was more than my current rate. It's the "what's your current rate" approach that irks me. Anyway, I explained that I was prevented by an NDA for revealing my current rate, and after three weeks grumbling, the client agreed.
                      I agree - the current rate thing is really annoying. Are they trying to say that your previous job shelf stacking in Morrisons is a direct equivalent of shelf stacking in Halfords?

Comment

Working...
                      X