• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another agency Scam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blatant_pimp
    Who the hell do they think they are?

Answer - the ones getting you all jobs
    You almost make it sound as though recruiters create jobs.

Almost.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter

Almost.

Not quite but we do create the opportunity for you, and by the way you're welcome ;-)

Comment

totally agree with you Reformation

Comment

They do and then advertise them on jobserve to get CVs - there's no client at the end of them though

Comment

Originally posted by reformation
            Right it really is very simple, there are not alot of good canddiates out there at the moment so people are offering financial incentives to reccomend your friends to them if you cant do the contract offered. You can either think 'yes ill help a friend out and put this contract his way and make myself a few hundred quid' or you can think 'no im not going help out anyone i know and im not interested in money'.

It's not relevent if you have millions in the bank as some of you like to claim, money is money and it's helping a fellow contractor. Thats all it is. No ones trying to scam leads out of you.
            Although you are partly correct in your assertion that networking in this way helps everyone please do not pretend that you are somehow doing everyone a favour. "That's all it is" no that is not all it is. You are in it entirely and 100% for yourself and you are hustling for business. So please do not insult people's intelligence, just be honest about your motives (funnily enough there is nothing wrong with being in it for yourself - its what makes markets work so well), and that way you will avoid conforming to the recruitment agenct stereotype
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
              No you don't. The client creates the opportunity, you just source the most likely candidates you can place with the client who will generate the biggest profit in mark ups for you. Candidates are doing you a great favour by making their services available to you by responsing to job ads, that may result in you making money from their work, skills and experience.

You don't create anything, let alone opportunities (unless you mean the opportunity to make a nuisance of yourselves which you do with remarkable success, I must say).

After all, if the client didn't have the job to do, you wouldn't be able to generate the work for them would you!

MONEY GRABBING, BARROWBOY, ASBO DODGING, LEECHES, THE LOT OF YOU.
              You began by making a perfectly valid point and then ruined it with the mindless diatribe of hypocrisy. It is pretty pathetic that clients prefer to weed people like you out by using us barrow boys as intermediaries. It really does not say much for the average contractors commercial awareness does it?

Stick to welding the widgets Denny and leave the rest of us to make the world go round.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Hi EB's,

Can you tell me why you bother collecting CV's at all ? All that fake job ad and recommend a friend stuff is a waste of time in my opinion.

There are a few major job boards where there is no end of IT contractor CV's available complete with up to date work availability, searchable profile data, preferences etc. I've never had a call from an EB who claims to have found my CV in their own company's database and in any case it's likely to be out of date. I mean, which contractor in their right mind is going to update the plethora of EB's with new CV's and keep them up to date with availability when they can just do it on three job boards and get a better response.

I've had loads of calls recently and they're all from EB's who use one of three main job boards or iProfile. Even when I've applied for a contract role at an EB who I know has my CV on their database they usually have trouble finding it or it's old and I have to send them a new one to look at. Either way, they wouldn't have called me about the role even though (based on my call to them) they end up putting me forward.

So what's the point?
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by reformation
                  Not quite but we do create the opportunity for you, and by the way you're welcome ;-)
                  It's like asking the slice of ham to thank the sandwich shop

You sell bodies to clients. We are the raw material you need to make the sale.

The real machine of wealth creation is the company that has a requirement. We are the engineer. You must be the oily rag
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    Although you are partly correct in your assertion that networking in this way helps everyone please do not pretend that you are somehow doing everyone a favour. "That's all it is" no that is not all it is. You are in it entirely and 100% for yourself and you are hustling for business. So please do not insult people's intelligence, just be honest about your motives (funnily enough there is nothing wrong with being in it for yourself - its what makes markets work so well), and that way you will avoid conforming to the recruitment agenct stereotype

I thought i was being honest, of course i want the CV of a referral to place them and make money but what i cant see is why a contractor would hide that info if he was offered a few hundred quid if the referral got placed. I dont see it as being a major problem or trying to get leads out of people.

And to the chap that said 'why dont you search on jobserve' you clearly know nothing about recruitment, its a pretty hard job to do well so just searching a database is what any muppet can do. The real skill of the job come from networking.

Comment

It's like asking the slice of ham to thank the sandwich shop

You sell bodies to clients. We are the raw material you need to make the sale.

The real machine of wealth creation is the company that has a requirement. We are the engineer. You must be the oily rag
                      Hardly the oily rag we're the ones that source opportunity and then present them to you, i'd have thought you'd be grateful for our help. You can always go and canvass for work yourself you know?

Comment

Working...
                      X