• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

bit of advice needed ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bit of advice needed ...

Bit of advice needed here - My contract ends with my current place here TODAY. Ive waited three weeks to see if my original 2 month contract was going to be extended (large consulting corporation, and i had to be SC cleared for it) to be told this morning they want me here till the 11th of september.

Im a bit miffed since i didnt expect to be extended for any less than 2 months, and my ego is flaring up at being offered 3 weeks work for the sake of me holding on for them to get their act together.

My agent has been great in all this and to be honest i dont want to leave them if i could get a position elsewhere using them .... but at the same time, part of me is wondering if i should play absolute hardball and just say im not willing to sign another 3 weeks when 2 months is my minimum.

Is this a valid thing to do, or should i just bite my lip, work my 3 weeks and look for another gig.

For what its worth, this place is very badly organised, and theres too much work in this place to do - definately not a case of not enough.

I just dont want to be planning my life in 3 week chunks (2 month ones are short enough).

yes, a perfectly valid request if that's the way you want to work.

Comment

I would sign up for the 3 week contract and start looking for another gig while getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle View Post
        Bit of advice needed here - My contract ends with my current place here TODAY. Ive waited three weeks to see if my original 2 month contract was going to be extended (large consulting corporation, and i had to be SC cleared for it) to be told this morning they want me here till the 11th of september.
        Take the 3 weeks and look elsewhere, good luck

Comment

Sign up for the 3 weeks, in the meantime look elsewhere but let your agent know that if something comes along at the end of the 3 weeks you will take that. It may focus the agents and clients minds and get you a decent extension.

That way you are not burning your bridges. Good luck

Comment

I'd do the 3 weeks. BUT I'd also want a one-to-one with my pimp, to hammer-home my ire, etc. Else, you may just be seen as an easy-going bit of PolyFilla.

Comment

Im glad i bit my lip and thought about my response to it all a bit, thanks

.... casually mentioned to the guy who is in charge of contractor extensions and the like about how i had 'only three weeks to go now' after he asked how i was settling in?!?!

.. turns out that nobody is around this time of the year, and that the three weeks extension was something to buy them time while they do their planning for the next year. He did raise his eyebrows a bit when i casually mentioned (in good humour mind) that i assumed this was the end of the gig and i would be moving on ...

Understandable from their perspective - but i did tell my agent that day that i was now working to the assumption i will be finished in three weeks time unless they cement something with me very quickly.

I make them 80 odd quid a day being there, so i think it will have the right effect with my pimp

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af View Post
                I'd also want a one-to-one with my pimp, to hammer-home my ire
                Why does it always come down to gay sex with you??
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle View Post
                  I just dont want to be planning my life in 3 week chunks (2 month ones are short enough).
                  Make hay while the sunshines

A bird in the hand etc etc
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Make hay while the sunshines

A bird in the hand etc etc
                    A bird in the hand poos on your wrist.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X