• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in the UK for US Citizens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in the UK for US Citizens

My wife and I are interested in doing some contract work in the UK for 9 to 18 months and are looking for some advice about how to start our search. I have experience with Oracle e-Business/e-commerce and she is a Java/eclipse/security team lead with a very large international corporation.
    1. Do we need to apply for the highly skilled worker visas before any company will consider us?
    2. Are there any companies which specialize in placing foreigners like us that you can recommend?
    3. Can anyone estimate what the taxes might be like?
    4. How receptive are companies (and their employees) to contractors from the US?

Any advice you have will be appreciated!

As far as I know

It's very similar as one of us EU types going to the States, you need sponsorship and a job offer or position with a large consultancy and they need to prove you have skills that can't be filled from the EU to get a work visa

So not easy to do

Comment

1 ) You will need a Visa and immigration will ask a lot of questions but dont worry there not normaly the right questions ; I am from Canada
      2) Not required the process is straight forward and you will only get ripped off
      3) Very high
      4) People very friendly but London is a very cosmopolitan city , so you will meet the odd Iraqi or Jordanian who will spit on you. Dont make the mistake in thinking that this is a safe place (compared to Canada anyway)
      Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

if we cant come to work over there why should you be allowed to work over here?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
          Don't go up north

HTH
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
            Same reason the Septics insist in taking our fingerprints if we go there but we don't take theirs presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by Memento View Post
              My wife and I are interested in doing some contract work in the UK for 9 to 18 months and are looking for some advice about how to start our search. I have experience with Oracle e-Business/e-commerce and she is a Java/eclipse/security team lead with a very large international corporation.
              1. Do we need to apply for the highly skilled worker visas before any company will consider us?
              2. Are there any companies which specialize in placing foreigners like us that you can recommend?
              3. Can anyone estimate what the taxes might be like?
              4. How receptive are companies (and their employees) to contractors from the US?

Any advice you have will be appreciated!
              this is remarkably like that question that some academic dude from Manchester asked last week.

>>she is a Java/eclipse/security team lead with a very large international corporation.

get her company to place her in the UK and she could sponsor you.

then approach all the american companies there.

or work remotely in the UK for the US comapnies.

Then again the UK is pretty carp - I woulddn't bother - plenty of other nicer places around the world.

...fingerprints so what? the americans treat you with courtesy and decency that is not reciprocated in the UK either. I hate them chumps at passport control...give these people a uniform and...
              Last edited by Fishface; 18 March 2008, 00:32.

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback. We are also thinking about checking out Australia or Canada... I would rather not have to worry about dealing with random people spiting on me for the policies of my government’s current administration.

MrDonuts, Getting into the US may be a pain for skilled foreigners but plenty of people manage to jump through all the hoops. In my department, 5 of our 12 people immigrated to the US for work and one has just become a citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Memento View Post
                  Thanks for the great feedback. We are also thinking about checking out Australia or Canada... I would rather not have to worry about dealing with random people spiting on me for the policies of my government’s current administration.

MrDonuts, Getting into the US may be a pain for skilled foreigners but plenty of people manage to jump through all the hoops. In my department, 5 of our 12 people immigrated to the US for work and one has just become a citizen.
                  If the money is not the most important factor, Australia is a great place. Has good contracting environment, friendly people and is generally a fantastic place to live....

However...the money in London makes up for a lot of this. Easy to turn over £150k each per year which comes to 600k USD. Lots of American's here and in London anyway, there is an understanding that bush does reflect the view of all Americans.

On the downside, the govt. hates contractors. They are doing every they can to tax them out of existence.....with a smile. Maybe that will change in the coming years...but I doubt it, they seem intent.

On top of that..investment banks are the engine of the city, and they are reeling at the moment. Not a good time at all. It would be brave to come here with investment bank experience, and without, you might be doing a lot of sightseeing.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
                    If the money is not the most important factor, Australia is a great place. Has good contracting environment, friendly people and is generally a fantastic place to live....

However...the money in London makes up for a lot of this. Easy to turn over £150k each per year which comes to 600k USD. Lots of American's here and in London anyway, there is an understanding that bush does reflect the view of all Americans.

On the downside, the govt. hates contractors. They are doing every they can to tax them out of existence.....with a smile. Maybe that will change in the coming years...but I doubt it, they seem intent.

On top of that..investment banks are the engine of the city, and they are reeling at the moment. Not a good time at all. It would be brave to come here with investment bank experience, and without, you might be doing a lot of sightseeing.
                    $600K, slight typo I suspect don't you mean 300k
                    Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Working...
                    X