• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent arranges instant phone interview without naming the client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    That should have set alarm bells ringing!

I have never heard of that before. By the way it was done, it sounds like you got out of something dodgy.
    Yes, now I realise it is dodgy . Since the Agent didn't send his contact details, it is doubtful whether the names (his and Agency) he mentioned was true (while talking on phone). I don't know what is the motivation for the caller.

It is really frustrating someone should disturb and waste precious time of a job hunter.

Comment

It is really frustrating someone should disturb and waste precious time of a job hunter.
      I hope you're joking there! If you're a contractor, you're selling, not job hunting. Nobody's obliged to be nice to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
        copious free time of an idle layabout

Just kidding - it's over three years since I've had to deal with agents, so its useful to find out what their latest dodgy tricks are as I face the prospect of finding something to do for the winter

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          copious free time of an idle layabout
          From my experience, contract hunting appears to be a full time task, searching for contracts on web sites, responding to numerous calls (some from time wasters), traveling and attending meetings (interviews), with hardly any free time left.

Those who get their next contract without any rigorous contract hunting are really lucky.

Not sure how much is the average bench period for developers in London..
          Last edited by Ashwin2007; 17 September 2008, 20:10.

Comment

the agent mentioned that you applied for job XX, so he got your details from one of your applications, did you recognise the job he said you applied for? if so go back to wherever you so the job add, and you should see the agent contacts details....

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
              Those who get their next contract without any rigorous contract hunting are really lucky.
              I was talking to someone here the other day and realised that the last time I had to deal with an agent to get a job was 4 years ago. All the jobs between then and now have been through contacts and WoM.

NN
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

Couldn't you have taken the call and then before it got started say "excuse me, the agent wouldn't tell me which company you are or what the role is"?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Couldn't you have taken the call and then before it got started say "excuse me, the agent wouldn't tell me which company you are or what the role is"?
                  Stop being sensible.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    And when the "end company" can't answer the question... just tell them that you are going to put them through to a friend called Mr Up... first name Hang.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X