• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent arranges instant phone interview without naming the client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent arranges instant phone interview without naming the client

An Agent called me from an undisclosed number and said, "I am xxx from xxx (named a popular recruitment company). You have applied for xxx role. Are you ready for a phone interview in the next few minutes?". I said yes. Then the Agent said, "I will connect to the interviewer, the interviewer is very busy, so you need to introduce yourself"

I asked the Agent to send by Email confirming the name of the interviewer, Client name, and the role, for which the Agent shot back, "What difference does it make?".

I told him that he (the Agent) was calling from an undisclosed number, and I could not even identify him. Besides I needed to know the name of the interviewer, and the name of the client.

The Agent then said, "I have already told you I am xxx from xxx. I am going to connect you to the client". I said, I needed an Email confirmation about the interview with details: interviewer's name, client, and the role.

The Agent then said, "I think I am wasting my time here". I told him that without Email confirmation I would not take the interview. The Agent then closed the conversation, but did not send any email.

probably some scam.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
      An Agent called me from an undisclosed number and said, "I am xxx from xxx (named a popular recruitment company). You have applied for xxx role. Are you ready for a phone interview in the next few minutes?". I said yes. Then the Agent said, "I will connect to the interviewer, the interviewer is very busy, so you need to introduce yourself"

I asked the Agent to send by Email confirming the name of the interviewer, Client name, and the role, for which the Agent shot back, "What difference does it make?".

I told him that he (the Agent) was calling from an undisclosed number, and I could not even identify him. Besides I needed to know the name of the interviewer, and the name of the client.

The Agent then said, "I have already told you I am xxx from xxx. I am going to connect you to the client". I said, I needed an Email confirmation about the interview with details: interviewer's name, client, and the role.

The Agent then said, "I think I am wasting my time here". I told him that without Email confirmation I would not take the interview. The Agent then closed the conversation, but did not send any email.
      Gosh - that is sneaky! I guess one should ask for the agent's name/number - then call back if you get one.

Have you tried calling the xxx agency and asking to speak to xxx agent?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Gosh - that is sneaky! I guess one should ask for the agent's name/number - then call back if you get one.

Have you tried calling the xxx agency and asking to speak to xxx agent?
        The Agent gave a name of large recruitment Agency with branches all over UK. During the conversation I asked him to send Email with his contact details. He never sent any Email. I was not sure which branch of the Agency I should call to confirm the identity of the Agent.
        Last edited by Ashwin2007; 17 September 2008, 07:55.

Comment

he will just put you through to a mate in the next room posing as a client to try and get details of previous companies

just an extension of the usual "need two reference" ploy to try to get leads I guess

Comment

Dodgy, dodgy, dodgy......

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
              The Agent gave a name of large recruitment Agency with branches all over UK. During the conversation I asked him to send Email with his contact details. He never sent any Email. I was not sure which branch of the Agency I should call to confirm the identity of the Agent.
              google him

Comment

Name them, someone on here may know the person?

Comment

I agree.. from now on, all dodgy agent behaviour should be noted publicly on this website.

Comment

a popular recruitment company
                    That should have set alarm bells ringing!

I have never heard of that before. By the way it was done, it sounds like you got out of something dodgy.
                    But as a principle (i.e. client wants to check out some people without revealing who he is) I can understand that it would be desirable in certain circumstances. I've even had some bits of software developed by subcontractors who didn't know who the end client was, just because they never needed to.

Comment

Working...
                    X