• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you charge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    First thing I'd factor in is the cost to me of doing the work - if I'm unavailable, then obviously there is the cost of not working elsewhere.

Then there is the cost of preparation time, plus the likelihood of it being a longer day than usual.

Add in the cost of whether I could be @rsed to do anything for a one day engagement, or just stay at home.

By which time, I'd be far too expensive to bother even speaking to the pimp.

Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

I'd personally go the other way - do it at a standard rate and do a ferkin good job and then when the same company needs a contractor for the juicy 6 monther that crops up in a couple of months time they'll hopefully be on the blower.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        I'd personally go the other way - do it at a standard rate and do a ferkin good job and then when the same company needs a contractor for the juicy 6 monther that crops up in a couple of months time they'll hopefully be on the blower.
        D'you really think a company that asks a pimp for a 1 day contract is really going to dish out a 6 monther at a later point?

Even if they do, it'll be at a lousy rate because they'll be agonising over the difference in expenditure between a decent contractor and a junior permie on 10K pa.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
          D'you really think a company that asks a pimp for a 1 day contract is really going to dish out a 6 monther at a later point?

Even if they do, it'll be at a lousy rate because they'll be agonising over the difference in expenditure between a decent contractor and a junior permie on 10K pa.
          Maybe, maybe not, you never know. But for the sake of doing a days job and getting your normal rate, you now have an additional contact on your books.

Even if you only get a few more one day jobs out of it in the future its probably worth it if you're doing nowt at the time. Also now chap from piddly company A is talking to company B asking what they are up to - they want some support/development/new kit - "yeah, we had a guy in a while back who did x for us, was good, i'll give you his No". I've had numerous jobs in the past this way - via word of mouth from someone i'd sorted out a little job for.

Its all about networking and keeping clients sweet.

Comment

Working...
          X