• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References and checks > how far back is normal ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References and checks > how far back is normal ??

I'm in early discussion with a well-known Middle Eastern entity for my services. They appear to be very security/document-concious and have just asked for the following (with a standard form)

All school and educational records/results since I was 14.
    References for every client site I've ever worked at (15 years).
    3 non-work referees to vouch for character.

As the work is potentially rather lucrative I've yet to tag this as SPAM. Obtaining all this is a PITA.

I've heard certain City outfits like Goldman Sachs ask for 10 years but this is taking the pee.

Ever been asked for references/proof of work from years ago ?

Sounds extremely non-kosher (no pun intended).

Comment

When I worked on-behalf of a big/the biggest state oil company in the gulf, I wasn't asked for any additional references other than what was on my CV, and I don't even think they took it.

On the other hand, if my experience of the Middle East is anything, one hand doesn't really know what the other is doing. They may ask for all these references, but whether they actually do anything with them is another matter entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by LegendsWear7 View Post
        Yep... and school results etc before starting a contract at a different IB in the city.

Comment

In all my contracting career I've never previously been asked for formal proof of anything. There was once a quick phone check to a former boss. Nothing more. It was always on the basis that if I can't deliver I'll be out on my ear before Friday.

This background checking is a shock to me but maybe I'm out of touch.

Comment

When I started as permie for an American bank in London ten years ago they wanted work references for the previous five years.

Along with a medical including drug tests.

Comment

Originally posted by LegendsWear7 View Post
              I'm in early discussion with a well-known Middle Eastern entity for my services. They appear to be very security/document-concious and have just asked for the following (with a standard form)

All school and educational records/results since I was 14.
              References for every client site I've ever worked at (15 years).
              3 non-work referees to vouch for character.

As the work is potentially rather lucrative I've yet to tag this as SPAM. Obtaining all this is a PITA.

I've heard certain City outfits like Goldman Sachs ask for 10 years but this is taking the pee.

Well, I work for an IB, and the checks there were for the last 5 years (working sites) + a copy of my "highest" qualification, in my case a degree. I also supplied a couple of personal references.

What you are being asked to provide is plain stupid. I'd tell them to get sensible, or forget it. Then again, that's just me; you may feel differently.

Ps. I only supplied my stuff after they had offered the contract. Your lot seem to be asking for all this before they've even offered an interview! I'd definitely tell them to forget it.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                Well, I work for an IB, and the checks there were for the last 5 years (working sites) + a copy of my "highest" qualification, in my case a degree. I also supplied a couple of personal references.
                nomadd, I presume you are on contract at said IB? How did they validate your last 5 years ? From the Director of your Ltd (surely not), former agencies, former client manager ?

Telephone, email, snail mail?

One of my former long-contract sites has long since become bankrupt and likewise the agency.

Another 2 year contract had the entire IT department outsourced/offshored. Nobody left to my knowledge. The agency went tits up.

Another site almost popped but cuddly Uncle Gordon stepped in and saved the day. I'm aware there has been a major shakeup in IT and I've no idea if any of the old people are still there. My former manager and potential reliable referee has moved on.

My first ever contract client was bought by a competitor and promptly shutdown. I don't remember the name of the agency and maybe they don't exist.

The upshot is that I wouldn't advise buying any stock at my current gig and more importantly some of my past work is rather difficult to verify. I'm worried that this could kibosh my next plan or Investment Bank work.

Comment

Regarding educational check's, got to ask, unless the job specificlly ask's for something in particular or you are under 25, why do you even put your education on your CV?

Dropped mine off my CV when i was around 25 (shortly after i started contracting) and the lack has never been raised in the 10 years since

Regarding the work check's, if i was asked for something simerlar would just laugh at them and tell them the truth, that contracts beyond 2 years (aka last one) virtually impossible to obtain references because everyone i know there is long gone
                  Last edited by Not So Wise; 3 March 2010, 14:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                    Regarding educational check's, got to ask, unless the job specificlly ask's for something in particular or you are under 25, why do you even put your education on your CV?

Dropped mine off my CV when i was around 25 (shortly after i started contracting) and the lack has never been raised in the 10 years since

Regarding the work check's, if i was asked for something simerlar would just laugh at them and tell them the truth, that contracts beyond 2 years (aka last one) virtually impossible to obtain references because everyone i know there is long gone
                    Some clients believe you have added credibility with them.

In Germany they really rate these things highly. No serious qualifications= a problem or you will get paid low.
                    Maybe similar in other countries.

About the old references... I know I know. It is a bit of a 'mare. Companies come and go. Modern staff turnover means getting a genuine line manager reference from 10 years ago is not always realistic in UK. I think as a contractor especially even if the manager is still there they would struggle to remember me.

My concern is potentially losing contracts or being 'suspicious' as I can't get multiple refs from multiple countries. It is easy for the London-based perm who has only ever had two jobs with companies still in same form/same manager or HR.
                    Last edited by LegendsWear7; 3 March 2010, 15:54.

Comment

Working...
                    X