• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

pimp/client wanting to reduce rate mid contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pimp/client wanting to reduce rate mid contract

Hi Fellas

well, just had a call from my pimp and the client co want to reduce my rate by a whacking 11% !!!! I am in my 2nd contract with the client and am mid term of a 6month role. What are your thoughts? accept, negotiate or jump???

cheers

It's a contract negotiation - negotiate!

Are you happy there? Is there lots of alternative work available for you? Do you need the money? Would you be happy on the rate?

Is the push coming from the client or the pimp? It's not unheard of for the pimp to ask for a reduction and blame it on the client, but nothing has been said by the client.

What is the agency margin - how much are they cutting their margin?

What notice would the client have to give you to get rid of you? How strong is your relationship with the client - if you declined would they get rid of you immediately? Are you friendly enough with them to get the cut reduced?

Is it just you, or is it across the board?

So many questions that only you can answer, I'm afraid.

Edit - you can't really jump. You could give notice, but that really is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Unless you have something better paid that you want to go and do, that really would be a silly move.
    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Let the rules of acquisition No. 16 & 17 be your guide.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Offer them a 20% reduction for a 4 day week at the same daily rate.

If you're gonna be stiffed you might as well have some time off to enjoy life.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

Excellent suggestion. Get a Friday if you can.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

That only works in two situations.

1 - there is less work to do, so they are trying to save money.

2 - there is the same amount of work to do over a longer period, so it doesn't save any more money for the client.

If the client actually wants / needs to save money, then you'd need to offer an incentive for them to do so.
            If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Depends on your warchest. If you have enough in the warchest, you can negotiate and if they don’t want to negotiate, walk. You could offer a lower rate to work at home or a more convenient location for you. Otherwise, you might have to swallow it.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I had to take 15% cut 18 months ago mid-contract.

My view then, with the market as it was then, was 85% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

If you can handle the drop, do it and then look.

Don't burn bridges or stick yourself in the schtuck out of some self righteous need to make a point.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Don't burn bridges or stick yourself in the schtuck out of some self righteous need to make a point.
                  That's true. Don't try to pretend you won't sell out, you've already done that. It's just a haggle about the price.

Comment

What is your notice period ? Say you will take the cut if they are prepared to reduce the notice period to 1 week, the threat will be implied. Work at the same level as before, no resentment, stirring etc and start looking. You find something, that's business, if not then you are still earning.

Comment

Working...
                    X