• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you opted out or opted in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    In my opinion "introduced" in this case means introduced into the workforce (ie starting work) rather than introduced as in being sent for interview.

Boo
    Sadly that's not what the law says. The critical point is when the client knows who you are, which in our world is the interview stage, practically speaking. This is different to the girly from Office Angels., who simply is told to turn up on a Monday. It's also a fairly critical difference between freelance contractor and ageny temps, a difference that will become increasingly important.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      "I work in Germany where such nonsense isn't asked"
      Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
      Working direct.
      This poll is for contractors currently working on a contract formed under English law with an employment business which is governed by The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.

Sorry if you guys feel left out, but I don't think you are missing much. Next time I'll put in a tick box for "Not Applicable" just for you.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        This poll is for contractors currently working on a contract formed under English law with an employment business which is governed by The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.

Sorry if you guys feel left out, but I don't think you are missing much. Next time I'll put in a tick box for "Not Applicable" just for you.
        Thanks, I feel much better now.

Comment

In my opinion "introduced" in this case means introduced into the workforce (ie starting work) rather than introduced as in being sent for interview.

Boo
          Firstly the law makes no difference between freelancers or temps.

Secondly providing services through a limited company I get told the entire scope of the project when I go to meet the client for an "interview". There as when I was permanent I just got told what the company does and not what my actual job role was.

So saying that being sent for an interview means that you haven't been introduced is strictly correct.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Firstly the law makes no difference between freelancers or temps.

Secondly providing services through a limited company I get told the entire scope of the project when I go to meet the client for an "interview". There as when I was permanent I just got told what the company does and not what my actual job role was.

So saying that being sent for an interview means that you haven't been introduced is strictly correct.
            Is this an example of feminine logic or am I missing something?

The actual relevant wording is
            shall not apply where a work-seeker which is a company, and the person who is or would be supplied by that work-seeker to carry out the work, agree that they should not apply, and give notice of that agreement to an employment business or agency, provided that such notice is given before the introduction or supply of the work-seeker or the person who would be supplied by the work-seeker to do the work, to the hirer.
            but what causes the confusion is that "Introduction" is not defined. If we assume its normal meaning of "Hi, this is Malvolio" then that is making it the interview stage. If, however, you use the other rather mrore archaic meaning of "an act of inserting something" (oo err missus) then it might be taken to be the day you start work. Most people believe the former is the intended meaning of "introduction".

But it also says "or supply" which is the bit hte agencies focus on and that blows the whole thing wide open again...

So a typical piece of ill thought out NL bollocks then. We won't get a real answer until someone is dumb enough to raise it in court.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Is this an example of feminine logic or am I missing something?
              Sorry grammatical error - should have said "isn't".

I had to take part in a telephone meeting immediately after I posted.

Comment

Sorry grammatical error - should have said "isn't".

I had to take part in a telephone meeting immediately after I posted.
                Damned clients - always getting in the way of the real work.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Sadly that's not what the law says. The critical point is when the client knows who you are
                  I believe you are wrong.

The regs are available online here. The relevant extract is as follows

"(9) Subject to paragraph (12), paragraphs (1) - (8) shall not apply where a work-seeker which is a company, and the person who is or would be supplied by that work-seeker to carry out the work, agree that they should not apply, and give notice of that agreement to an employment business or agency, provided that such notice is given before the introduction or supply of the work-seeker or the person who would be supplied by the work-seeker to do the work, to the hirer."
                  There is a gloss on the regs here. The relevant extract from that (taken in another context) is

"The Regulations do not define an introduction but for the proper operation of this regulation, it is advisable to treat the date on which the work-seeker actually becomes employed or engaged by the hirer as the date from which the three month period should be measured"
                  As stated in the guidance notes, there is no explicit definition within the regs as to what introduction means in that context. This allows any court testing this to use their own definition, and it seems to me to be crystal clear what it will mean in practice : Introduction of the Consultant into the Client's Workforce.

Any other interpretation is just stupid IMHO.

Boo

Comment

I believe you are wrong.
                    Boo are you going to argue with the learned persons I use to review my contracts?

Go ahead.

Though personally I've learnt don't argue with solicitors or barristers.

Comment

Boo are you going to argue with the learned persons I use to review my contracts?
                      You have never seen a written legal opinion, from a qualified solicitor, as to the meaning of the word "introduction" in that paragraph of the agency regs.

So what's your point ?

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X