• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am not getting a good rate please help with the below message for a good suggestion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not getting a good rate please help with the below message for a good suggestion

Dear Sir,

I am contracting for the last 2 years with the same company,same agency and same rate for last 2years. When ever my contract is due to renewal, i ask my agency if my pay can be raised, they
    say client didn't raise , so they can't raise. Recently I felt my rate has to be increased.

Here I am not sure if the rate is increased and agency is not telling me . I am working so hard so i really deserve the increase.

My question is how will i know the client has increased the rate or not. Till now i don't know the agency commission, how can i know the agency percentage of commission, can i ask them and will they disclose the information or is there is any site where we can find the same. What is the best way of knowing.

I feel i have given very good business to agency. Can I come out of the agency and go with the client directly. For e.g my umbrella company will deal with the client inspite of the agency. Is this possible.

But how can I discuss with the manager, is it good to discuss, what is the best procedure or way to discuss without effecting my contract relations with the manager. I am also thinking if i come out of the agency, agecny commission will be reduced and my pay can be raised little bit and also i can save the client financially.

Also how can i know the how much agency is billing me.

Please kindly help me with the best way.
    Thanks.

Originally posted by suni View Post
    Dear Sir,

I am contracting for the last 2 years with the same company,same agency and same rate for last 2years. When ever my contract is due to renewal, i ask my agency if my pay can be raised, they
    say client didn't raise , so they can't raise. Recently I felt my rate has to be increased.

Here I am not sure if the rate is increased and agency is not telling me . I am working so hard so i really deserve the increase.

My question is how will i know the client has increased the rate or not. Till now i don't know the agency commission, how can i know the agency percentage of commission, can i ask them and will they disclose the information or is there is any site where we can find the same. What is the best way of knowing.

I feel i have given very good business to agency. Can I come out of the agency and go with the client directly. For e.g my umbrella company will deal with the client inspite of the agency. Is this possible.

But how can I discuss with the manager, is it good to discuss, what is the best procedure or way to discuss without effecting my contract relations with the manager. I am also thinking if i come out of the agency, agecny commission will be reduced and my pay can be raised little bit and also i can save the client financially.

Thanks.
    WHo is the letter supposed to be addressed to? Are you working through an agency to clientco or is it more complicated & what is it that you do?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by suni View Post
      Dear Sir,

Thanks.
      just be thankful you're able to send money home.

Comment

You'll find that your contract stops your going direct and will probably have a clause forbidding any rate discussion between you and the client. Agencies like to hide their margins!

The only leverage you have in the process is yourself. Rates are not about what you deserve, they are about what the client (in this case the agency) are willing to pay. And they will always pay the least possible.

Give them a direct instruction that if your rate doesn't increase to X then you won't be renewing. Make sure you start looking for a new contract incase they decide not to increase your rate!
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Oh Dear...Bob's "much cheapness" is coming back to haunt him now he realises how much it actually costs to live here.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            Oh Dear...Bob's "much cheapness" is coming back to haunt him now he realises how much it actually costs to live here.
            And weak pound is probably not helping either, amount of money he has been sending home probably dropped by something like 30% in two years

*wonders if this means a lot like him and the so called ICT lot will be heading home soon*

Comment

I'm surprised and yet somehow proud of the members here that this kinda misguided thread didn't result in the total slating I expected. CUK members - well done on some rare self restraint (or have the mods cracked down on cheek since I last logged on!).

Suni - my advice is that no letter however well worded will result in agents (otherwise known as pimps with very good reason) to reveal their rate or to take a cut and increase your rate. It's just not good business sense for them. Likewise thats why there are no websites showing their margins.

The bottom line is that you need to change jobs if you can because thats the most reliable way to change your rate. If you bluff and say you won't renew they'll see it for the empty threat it is and won't offer you an increase. In my experience it's only when you have another job offer that they get serious about renegotiating. And personally once I've went to the hassle of getting another job offer I'm leaving and their attempt to renegotiate is a waste of thier time.

Look for another role. Unless there is something preventing this (like sponsored visa or whatever) this is your best option as anything else is pretty much peeing in the wind.

Good luck.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                And weak pound is probably not helping either, amount of money he has been sending home probably dropped by something like 30% in two years

*wonders if this means a lot like him and the so called ICT lot will be heading home soon*
                Oh dear - in the time it took me to draft my reply and commend the CUK posse for thier restraint, my words of praise were rendered void by the likes of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Langkawi View Post
                  I'm surprised and yet somehow proud of the members here that this kinda misguided thread didn't result in the total slating I expected. CUK members - well done on some rare self restraint (or have the mods cracked down on cheek since I last logged on!).
                  With the constant mention of "Bob" I'm suprised there isn't a member here called Agent Cooper!
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                    WHS
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X