• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet another how is the market thread...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my "niche" (which I will also fail to mention), 95% of the new contracts arise in Europe, with the other 5% in Scotland or London.

Fortunately I landed one in London at a reasonable rate, but I'm not looking forward to travelling to Europe for the weekly grind on my next contract.

I just need 10 more years on this contract at this rate, to be able to take it easy

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I just need 10 more years on this contract at this rate, to be able to take it easy
      Don't say things like that!

Yup, this is my last case. Retirement came through. Hand in my badge next week, then me Darlene are buying up a little chicken farm in Nebraska, just taking it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        In my "niche" (which I will also fail to mention), 95% of the new contracts arise in Europe, with the other 5% in Scotland or London.

Fortunately I landed one in London at a reasonable rate, but I'm not looking forward to travelling to Europe for the weekly grind on my next contract.

I failed to mention, my world is process engineering. 'tis deader than a dead thing.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

hands up everyone who thinks that bailing on a permy position after only 3 months is uncool. Lets see those hands... yup, that appears to be everyone. This might be why clients don't want to take on ex-contractors for permy roles because they fear that the employee will just bugger off at the sniff of a contract. Also anyone here think its seriously unwise to bail on a permy role for a 3 month contract with no warchest, in this market? Another big show of hands! How to destroy your CV in one easy go - bench followed by a 3 month stint as a permy then a 3 month contract then bench.

Admittedly I am observing the UK market from my cushy warm well paid contract in Sydney, but in my opinion (italics mine) yon English contractor market had a small blip but as Stephanie Flanders quite rightly points out the doom and gloom of the US economy is going to wing its way across the Atlantic and take the Eurozome down with it and you will all be huddling around a cheap one bar heater at home 7 days a week.

I had been planning my triumphant return to the UK contract market loosely around April next year, but with the economic data coming out of the UK I am now thinking maybe I'll put it off for another year.

Stick with the perm position until at least April, then review the market. bleed them dry of all possible training budget, save some money and your leave and then you'll have some breathing room when you decide its safe to test the contractor water again.

p.ss tonnes of contract work over here. It's like its 2007 still.

Comment

Stan when you say there are is a lot of work in Australia what line of work are you in?

Thanks,

Comment

A three month contract is not long enough for the move out of a 'safe' permie job in this market.

Stay where you are until the new year.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                hands up everyone who thinks that bailing on a permy position after only 3 months is uncool. Lets see those hands... yup, that appears to be everyone. This might be why clients don't want to take on ex-contractors for permy roles because they fear that the employee will just bugger off at the sniff of a contract. Also anyone here think its seriously unwise to bail on a permy role for a 3 month contract with no warchest, in this market? Another big show of hands! How to destroy your CV in one easy go - bench followed by a 3 month stint as a permy then a 3 month contract then bench.
                WHS. And if your name is known in your niche circle, you'll be damaged goods.

Comment

Originally posted by digerido View Post
                  Stan when you say there are is a lot of work in Australia what line of work are you in?

Thanks,
                  I hear that there's a lot of government work in Canberra.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                    p.ss tonnes of contract work over here. It's like its 2007 still.
                    How so?

Jobserve UK search results for all contracts in IT&T industry - no other filters:
                    6131 jobs

Jobserve AU search results for all contracts in IT&T industry - no other filters:
                    886 jobs

Maybe they dont really use jobserve over there?

Comment

Seek and ye shall find...

"Seek.com.au" is the main job site in Oz. (It's owned by Jobserve though I think)

From their site, filtering only for ICT:

17,743 Information & Communication Technology jobs in Australia

So about three time as many IT jobs and a population 1/3rd the size of the UK.

So yes, no shortage of work.

Canberra is as boring as battulip though.

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                      How so?

Jobserve UK search results for all contracts in IT&T industry - no other filters:
                      6131 jobs

Jobserve AU search results for all contracts in IT&T industry - no other filters:
                      886 jobs

Maybe they dont really use jobserve over there?
                      I'm not so think as you drunk I am...

Comment

Working...
                      X