• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call us for an 'informal chat'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call us for an 'informal chat'

I'm looking at a short term (rather than a traditional 'contract') role offered by a company directly on its website and not through an agency. The ad says very little about the job to be honest, and then it says 'for an informal discusssion regarding this role, call x or email xy' - before actually applying of course.

Now, I want to appear keen, so it seems like a good idea to email the guy first and set up a time for this 'informal' chat. I realise there is no such thing as an informal chat - this guy is likely to be interviewing eventually and every conversation is going to be noted and filed away in his memory. So it could end up being like a pre-interview, but with me asking all the questions.

I know the company and the pay (importantly!). Any suggestions for what to ask that makes me come across well - well enough to get me an interview once he's actually seen my CV?

Originally posted by maui50 View Post
    I'm looking at a short term (rather than a traditional 'contract') role offered by a company directly on its website and not through an agency. The ad says very little about the job to be honest, and then it says 'for an informal discusssion regarding this role, call x or email xy' - before actually applying of course.

Now, I want to appear keen, so it seems like a good idea to email the guy first and set up a time for this 'informal' chat. I realise there is no such thing as an informal chat - this guy is likely to be interviewing eventually and every conversation is going to be noted and filed away in his memory. So it could end up being like a pre-interview, but with me asking all the questions.

I know the company and the pay (importantly!). Any suggestions for what to ask that makes me come across well - well enough to get me an interview once he's actually seen my CV?
    I'd be concentrating on the bit I highlighted, asking for as much info. about their requirements as you can get. And I'd do all of this by telephone. Anything more, I'd want a little bit more commitment from them than "an informal chat." I only ever did one of those in person - about 20 years ago - and got my fingers burnt (basically, it turned out to be free consultancy on my part, rather than a "chat"...) So beware.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      I'd be concentrating on the bit I highlighted, asking for as much info. about their requirements as you can get. And I'd do all of this by telephone. Anything more, I'd want a little bit more commitment from them than "an informal chat." I only ever did one of those in person - about 20 years ago - and got my fingers burnt (basically, it turned out to be free consultancy on my part, rather than a "chat"...) So beware.
      Happened to me too, be very wary. I cost myself quite a few thousand in lost revenue by giving too much away for free.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Happened to me too, be very wary. I cost myself quite a few thousand in lost revenue by giving too much away for free.
        Yep, had a similar experience at interview a few years ago - pretty nasty feeling - so will look out for this.

I'm wary of asking too much as that should be done at the proper interview. Will have to suss out a balanced approach.

Cheers both.

Comment

I realise there is no such thing as an informal chat - this guy is likely to be interviewing eventually and every conversation is going to be noted and filed away in his memory.
          I wouldn't be so sure. Quite likely that the company needs something doing/fixing and is inviting pitches for the work. It's mainly when agencies get involved that they turn it into a quasi-staff recruitment situation, and lead clients into a process of "roles" and "interviews".

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            I wouldn't be so sure. Quite likely that the company needs something doing/fixing and is inviting pitches for the work. It's mainly when agencies get involved that they turn it into a quasi-staff recruitment situation, and lead clients into a process of "roles" and "interviews".
            That's exactly how I talked myself out of a very lucrative but essentially very simple contract by telling the supposed client too much about how I would fix their problem. They did it themselves. I am now m uch more clued up and more than once when questioned about things I have replied - "You need to pay to know that". If the client is serious, they will not be put off by a blunt but honest answer like that.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              ...more than once when questioned about things I have replied - "You need to pay to know that". If the client is serious, they will not be put off by a blunt but honest answer like that.
              Never quite had to go to those extremes, but I have more than once had to go into "stealth/quiet" mode in interviews before giving too much away. If the client pushed for more, I'd simply say "It's a little bit too complicated to go into here... We can discuss it in much greater detail once I get started on-site..."
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                "an informal chat." I only ever did one of those in person - about 20 years ago - and got my fingers burnt (basically, it turned out to be free consultancy on my part, rather than a "chat"...) So beware.
                20 years ago and you're still pissed about it. Respect!

Seriously though, I think of it as a sales pitch. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you invest a fair bit in doing a pitch and it comes to nothing. I don't stress too much about it to be honest.

Even if you do get a contract, they could easily take you on, get you to present a design design document and then decide that they could do it all in-house and let you go.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  20 years ago and you're still pissed about it. Respect!

Seriously though, I think of it as a sales pitch. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you invest a fair bit in doing a pitch and it comes to nothing. I don't stress too much about it to be honest.
                  Lose? Never! I will go down fighting...and invoicing.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I do understand why people are really angry with it.

It also happened to me. I had many non-sense calls where i was marketing myself and also speaking about private things. So, it was like a performance each time i called them. I tried to be careful with what i had to say. Then, you discover there is nothing behind. It is really annoying.

Comment

Working...
                    X