• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advise needed on leaving current contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise needed on leaving current contract

Hi

I was hoping to get some advise from some of you with more contracting experience than I have.

I have been working for local government as a software project manager for the past 3 years (this is my first contract). During that time I have only had an increase in my rate once. At the beginning of this year I was told that due to government cuts I may have my contract terminated. Fortunately although other contractors were let go in March there were a couple of projects they needed me to complete so they asked me to stay on till the end of June but working only 4 days a week. This basically meant that I was now earning less than when I started 3 years ago. I accepted this cut in working days as I felt fortunate to have gotten an extension in the current climate. In addition my mortgage is up for renewal in May – so I felt it better to play safe until my mortgage is renewed.

There is a high chance that they may again extend my contract at the end of June, however I am reluctant to do so firstly because I think I should be commanding a higher rate and I also feel that I need to move elsewhere in order to gain more varied PM experience. I am even willing to consider PMO roles. I have started applying for roles but I believe that my notice period of 4 weeks counts against me. I am not willing to pull a sickie etc…as I have a good working relationship with my boss and this being my first real project manager role I would need a good reference in future from him. In addition as I contract through an agency the notice period is with them and they would not be willing to reduce it to say..... 2 weeks.

I have enough saved to last me till 2012. So the question now is……………do I carry on working in this job and hope that a new contract (willing to wait a month) jumps into my lap? Or do I give up this job and become immediately available but without any income? I suppose that alternatively if I fail to get a new contract I could always try going back to permie but that is the last thing I want to do.

Incidentally my PM work centres around software that is already implemented. I have not had experience in an end-to-end implementation which probably counts against me in the job market.

Any sound advice would be appreciated.

At 3 years Josephine, you have more experience as a contractor than most of us, so should be able to answer your question by now.

Comment

Your biggest problem is probably that you have been working for local government. To most private sector organisations that is slightly less desirable than leprosy.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I would go if you have the cash otherwise you'll keep staying there, they may actually increase your rate so may be able to get some extra cash until the work totally finishes at client co - don't stay inert as you'll never progress....
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
          I would go if you have the cash otherwise you'll keep staying there, they may actually increase your rate so may be able to get some extra cash until the work totally finishes at client co - don't stay inert as you'll never progress....
          Thanks for that 2BIT. I take it from your reply that like me you feel the 1 month notice period is going to weigh down my chances of a new contract elsewhere?

Comment

<mod>Moved to one of the more serious sections of the site. Ignore the more frivolous posts above. </mod>

One month notice period will definitely weight against you. In your situation, I would tell your client boss, that, due to the fact that you really can earn more elsewhere, and that there are fulltime contracts, you need to given him notice. Give him the chance to come back with an offer of 5 days a week at more dosh. You've already shown goodwill in reducing your days, so the separation should be amicable. If it isn't, then you don't want to work there anyway.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              <mod>Moved to one of the more serious sections of the site. Ignore the more frivolous posts above. </mod>

One month notice period will definitely weight against you. In your situation, I would tell your client boss, that, due to the fact that you really can earn more elsewhere, and that there are fulltime contracts, you need to given him notice. Give him the chance to come back with an offer of 5 days a week at more dosh. You've already shown goodwill in reducing your days, so the separation should be amicable. If it isn't, then you don't want to work there anyway.
              WHS

I think you need to really look at why you aren't happy where you are and see if, by talking to the client, you can address this.

If you can't and are intent on leaving then, with the way the market is at the moment (limited roles/highly competitive) you will have to leave to ensure you have immediate availability to enable you to move quickly if and when an opportunity arises.

Good luck.

Comment

Ask for a rate hike. If no hike, negotiate the notice down to 1-2 weeks. Something should work out in your favour. If you get a better role, and notice is an issue, try using substitution clause if you have one on your contract.

Comment

I would need a good reference in future from him.
                  As a permie and a contractor I've never had a request for a reference. I think it's because permies have probationary periods, and contractors can be terminated at any time. Saying that, I've only worked in the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                    As a permie and a contractor I've never had a request for a reference. I think it's because permies have probationary periods, and contractors can be terminated at any time. Saying that, I've only worked in the private sector.
                    Out of interest, how do you know this?

The request would go to individuals you have nominated as referees.

Or have you never been asked to provide any or, if you have, they have fed back to you that they haven't been contacted.

Comment

Working...
                    X