• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

end of contract dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

end of contract dilemma

hi- i am contracting thru a consulting agency.Contract is going for renewal shortly. I have no intention to sign the extension.The agency knows this but won't tell the client. And, the client thinks I am continuing with the extension. How should I communicate this to the client without offending anyone?

Post it on Twitter?

hmm....no they might not follow you?

Add it as a Facebook status? maybe you haven't friended anyone at work.

So, I suppose that just leaves telling your boss then eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
      hi- i am contracting thru a consulting agency.Contract is going for renewal shortly. I have no intention to sign the extension.The agency knows this but won't tell the client. And, the client thinks I am continuing with the extension. How should I communicate this to the client without offending anyone?
      Its only polite that you do so, but no requirement. Your contract is with the consulting firm, its their role to inform their client.

Maybe the consultant firm is looking for a replacement to throw in when you leave prior to telling the client.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Invite them all out for drinks. When they ask why, tell them.

Comment

You don't have to tell them, you have informed the agent, job done. If it comes up in conversation i.e. "Right Sid you will be working on this for the the next few months" then you can correct them.

Comment

Are they known for marching people off site once they say they are leaving?

If not tell them as they will be more offended if you don't tell them especially the women. And if they ask why you are leaving say for personal reasons.

Personal reasons can cover anything including the fact that you think the project is turning tulip. Though it's better to indicate family trouble/health reasons then say that.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

One of the things that always annoys me about agents is the way they assume you need them to talk for you. Ridiculous really because you're at the client every day, and have an infinitely stronger relationship with the client than they will ever have.

But then reading this thread, maybe there are some contractors who really aren't able to have a simple conversation with someone they work with every day.

Just tell the truth.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Just tell the truth.
                What?

I'm leaving because the project is tulip, the PM is a cock and you are all ******* plus I can get an extra £200 per day elsewhere?

I don't think that would go down well.......
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I'm leaving because the project is tulip, the PM is a cock and you are all ******* plus I can get an extra £200 per day elsewhere?
                  Ahh, go on. Tell us what you really think.

The agent is probably holding back so they can try and get some candidates lined up to fill the job. If you tell the boss then he will have a dozen agents trying to get someone in there. Your agent is just trying to pre-empt that.

I'd say tell the client, it's only polite. As with Vectraman I don't see that I have any relationship with the agency, it's the client I deal with.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Remember, you're not an employee, this isn't personal, your a business and it's not in the best interests of your business to accept a renewal. If the clients circumstances change, they'd have no hesitation in letting you go and wouldn't expect (or care) if you were offended (which you should be anyway).

Whatever reason you give for not accepting, don't make it a personal one, remember, you're a contractor, not an employee.
                    You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

Working...
                    X