Building Client Relationship Building Client Relationship
Posts 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default Building Client Relationship

    Its my first week in contracting. Its going ok. I would like you know any tips on building relationship between yourself and the client so I could secure an extension?

    Furthermore is it good building relations with the clients employees?

  2. #2

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New2011 View Post
    Its my first week in contracting. Its going ok. I would like you know any tips on building relationship between yourself and the client so I could secure an extension?
    Take them out to the pub and get a few rounds in!

    Quote Originally Posted by New2011 View Post
    Furthermore is it good building relations with the clients employees?
    Absolutely! Just don't enter into a discussion about how much you are getting paid.

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!

    stek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East of Eden
    Posts
    11,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Take them out to the pub and get a few rounds in!



    Absolutely! Just don't enter into a discussion about how much you are getting paid.
    And don't turn up on day one in an Aston Martin. Proper contractors drive Rover 800's or old Jags for much cheapness.

    And keep the Aston in the heated garage for weekend trips to the Algarve.

  4. #4

    Fingers like lightning

    v8gaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Yes, build that relationship. Do what needs done. Don't complain. Don't act like a permie.

    Buy the beers. Be grateful for the contract. Do nothing that will p!55 the client off. It's much easier getting an extension than a new gig.

    Yes, get to know the permies, one of them will be a hiring manager soon.

    Connect with them on linkedin. Keep in touch after the gig, so they know when you are available.

    This is your marketing. Adverts won't work, relationships will. Work at it.

  5. #5

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by v8gaz View Post
    Yes, build that relationship. Do what needs done. Don't complain. Don't act like a permie.

    Buy the beers. Be grateful for the contract. Do nothing that will p!55 the client off. It's much easier getting an extension than a new gig.

    Yes, get to know the permies, one of them will be a hiring manager soon.

    Connect with them on linkedin. Keep in touch after the gig, so they know when you are available.

    This is your marketing. Adverts won't work, relationships will. Work at it.
    WVS!

  6. #6

    Should post faster

    Wobblyheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sun'land
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Make sure you produce something in your first few weeks, ask questions and get yourself known as someone who gets things done with the minimum of fuss.

    Definitely build relationships with the permies and gain their trust.

    Don't...

    be a twa t ,nick all the stationery or shag the HR Manager's missus (ok though if you don't get found out)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •