• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First rate staredown!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    WSMS

Having clawed back our costs and made a bit of profit - at renewal time, THIS is one of the things we get paid for.
    If the agency go and get me a rate increase, I'm happy for them to take their cut as part of their service to me. If I have to go get myself a rate increase then I won't part with a penny of that increase and would rather walk than lose any of it.

As a general principle, I don't grumble at the cut agencies get for the first contract as that's their reward for being the pimp. Once it gets to renewal though then I look to the agency to justify why they should keep their current cut, if this is through rate negotiation on my behalf or other professional service then I'm usually happy. If all the agency is doing is acting as effectively a factoring facility for my invoices then I'm not going to be happy for them to retain a high level of cut.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
      I'm starting to warm to you... got any PM roles going?
      Depends what you do, but I'm ankle deep in them at the moment.

Private message box always open
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Going the other way I've just had to deal with my agent trying to get me to take a cut in rate mid contract, when I've already agreed an extension in principle with the client without their involvement.

Their excuse was that the client had ended the purchasing agreement they were supplying under and pushed them onto one paying less to the agent. Started out trying to tell me the client wanted a cut, then tried to sell me a sob story about their margins being squeezed and they couldnt make any money on the contract.

These are the same guys who managed not to pay me any VAT for the first 4 months of the gig.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
          This assumes that the client knows what the OP is getting. It could be that the agent is not getting a good margin and the client is being stubborn.
          You could be absolutely right, but you won't know unless you ask. I agree with craig1's take on it. It's a tough world out there and if you don't ask, you don't get.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Idiot.

Originally posted by adubya View Post
            How much is she bringing in per day ?
            Try a different forum for your asinine comments.

Comment

That was a funny line.

Comment

UnhelpFul

Originally posted by helpFul View Post
                Try a different forum for your asinine comments.
                Touchy! Are you always that rude or is this an exception ?
                Last edited by adubya; 18 August 2011, 22:21.

Comment

Leaving the client in the lurch?

We're talking end of contract here, not mid-term. Admitted if it was a contract I enjoyed I wouldn't leave mid-project. But I wouldn't have a problem not extending if I didn't.

The client could have dumped him mid-project for budget reasons and we don't talk about them leaving the contractor in the lurch.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                    Great topic. Could we re-name it "how I lost my job"?
                    Not really. His 'job' is Director of his company. Looking for a rate increase at renewal time shows good business sense...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X